and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5-79 Western Electric F-60913 Charge-a-Call

Started by magicbrain, October 20, 2020, 12:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Quote from: magicbrain on October 24, 2020, 05:06:50 PM
...How did you duplicate the texture?

I would spray a test piece with the colour match you have chosen and Stipple. Try different brushes to get the texture/effect required. A small short stiff Artist brush is what I find usually works best (I usually need to cut them down). For some effects I find leaving the paint to dry (thicken) a little can help too. Each project is different so it really is trial and error (hence the need for a sample run to see if you can get a good enough match). You will likely need a (light grey?) undercoat if that is bare metal showing through.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

Mostly I stipled the finish with the end of the paint brush, it took several times to get the desired effect. I did it a little after painting I waited several minutes so the paint was starting to set up. If your missing a lot, and it looks as though you are. Put a coat of primer on clean bare metal, then using your discretion, you could try fine sand even sand dust is enough sometimes. Mask the area off you dont want to affect.
I suggest very fine sand and sparingly to give it the rough texture right in tbe areas void of original paint. It tends to give the finish a rough feel. I didnt do it on mine, as I found the
Brush did a decent job to mimic the texture.

You can try several things, starting with the brush end. That does take a few times over all. But its effective.
You could use a foam brush to do the same thing. When the paint is dried, trim the end with a sharp knife to give you a fresh end to try again.
They are cheap, but you dont have to clean them after your done.
KEN