News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Analog Telephone Adapters

Started by Phonegal, December 16, 2020, 01:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonegal

I find myself forced to switch from my longtime traditional telephone line to voice-over internet, which is digital of course. As we know, old rotary dial phones won't work with a digital line unless there's an adapter. I've been looking at (Cisco) AT adapters and, in addition, another adapter to convert pulse to tone dialing. I would welcome any suggestions anyone might have or directions to a thread about this topic. Thanks and good holidays to all - and STAY SAFE.

phonium

I dont have a landline myself, but from what others have said rotatone is a good one
https://www.oldphoneworks.com/rotatone-pulse-to-tone-converter.html
George Amores
ATCA#4857

RB

I use an omi.
works well, and accepts rotary dialing

LarryInMichigan

I am using Ooma phone service and a DialGizmo pulse-to-tone converter.  I am not thrilled with the Ooma service.  It lacks a number of features which it really should have, calls are often suddenly disconnected, and there is a serious latency in the sound (which is probably mostly Comcast's fault).  Also, the Telo box that it uses barely provides enough ringing current to ring two ringers.  The DialGizmo mostly works well, but it is necessary to pause between dialing digits, it often generates tones on slight voltage glitches on the line, and the '*' and '#' dialing do not work.

Larry

Stormcrash

The Grandstream HT802 ATA supports pulse to tone conversion. Several people I know are quite happy with it and use it with Voip.ms as their service provider.

For myself my current setup is an Obi200 with google voice as my service provider. The Obi doesn't do pulse so I'm using a Panasonic KX-TA824 Hybrid PBX (which does do pulse to tone) as my home phone system with the Obi as the outside line.

Have you already made the swtich or are you just starting to look?

shadow67

I have used an X Link BTTN to good affect in order to use a rotary phone on VoIP service. Good luck.

MMikeJBenN27

Hope they don't force me to go to VOIP.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Phonegal on December 16, 2020, 01:35:24 PM
I find myself forced to switch from my longtime traditional telephone line to voice-over internet, which is digital of course. As we know, old rotary dial phones won't work with a digital line unless there's an adapter. I've been looking at (Cisco) AT adapters and, in addition, another adapter to convert pulse to tone dialing. I would welcome any suggestions anyone might have or directions to a thread about this topic. Thanks and good holidays to all - and STAY SAFE.

An x-link  will blue tooth your rotary to your cell phone for around $100.

A panasonic  hybrid pbx  like a 616 can be a home phone system with intercom that also supports rotary.

for your first phone go x-link, Later you can get a small pbx and still use the x link as an outside line.
Search x-link and panasonic 616 for overviews,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

markosjal

better yet use asterisk and UT Starcom IAN-02EX ATAs , connect it to Google Voice by way of a Obi200 and you have it all
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Marco99

My experience with numerous ATA's and classic phones hasn't been great.
Most phones have a low transmit level (people I call complain of low volume from me). I have other modern phones connected to same ATA and the volume is OK.
Does anyone have a similar experience?

markosjal

Quote from: Marco99 on February 04, 2021, 02:58:06 PM
My experience with numerous ATA's and classic phones hasn't been great.
Most phones have a low transmit level (people I call complain of low volume from me). I have other modern phones connected to same ATA and the volume is OK.
Does anyone have a similar experience?

Marco99,

Regarding low transmit levels.....
Most ATAs have a transmit gain adjustment (except Ooma) , so this is a non issue. More than likely you have some mics with packed carbon granules. My suggestion is always use an Automatic Electric phone for a reference transmit gain, as it is less likely to suffer from packed carbon granules.

Also carbon mics do not produce the same quality as other mics and there are direct drop in replacements that emulate carbon mics.

Transmit volume is something i check on most any phone but especially on Western Electrics!  I have seen the same issue on Ericcssons and Indetels (ATT Own a phone , Viva) as well

I have more low volume mic modules than I can count . It is sad when I have  a phone where all parts show '57 as the year but then I need to replace the mic with a non '57

Marco99

markosjal

Yes, the ATA's I have allow TX gain adjustment but this isn't a good solution when using other phones connected to the ATA that don't need the extra gain.

The drop in replacement sounds like a better solution for me, can you recommend one for a 500 set?

markosjal

Babybearjs

I refuse to chgange! I went with cable VOIP service 3 years back only to discover the cable modem could not be adjusted to drop the line voltage after a call was abandoned and my KSU used to get locked into a false hold cycle. I had to add a reset putton to the phone line in order to get the line to reset, used to hate it as it had to be done manually.... I went back over to a analog phone line as I don't need super fast internet and the cable company didn't have the features that Centurylink Telecom offers. One being the NO SOLICITATION announcement which comes in extremely handy for robo calls and other nonesence phone calls. Sparklink just can't offer these options.... so, since the price was no different, I switched back.... alawys be sure to examine the prices between prividers.... most of the time you package deals are the same.... its thge taxes that are the hard part.... cable doesn't charge so much....
John