News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Strange substance leaking from metal cased components.

Started by FrankieD, January 27, 2021, 01:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankieD

Hello all,

Today I noticed that something was running down my wall. When I went to investigate further, I found that two components were leaking. I will attach a picture of them.

What are those components?

Any help would be great.

RB

Can't really tell by your pics what is leaking.
The only things that typically leak, and caps and potted networks.

FrankieD

From the looks of it, those two metal components seem to leaking. They say "DANGER HIGH PRESSURE DO NOT OPEN". It's a very sticky fluid almost like maple syrup.

Any idea what those components are? And, are they prone to leaking? 

FrankieD

Would better pictures help?

Any help from you guys would be appreciated. I'm a little worried that that substance may be toxic; I really hope not.

paul-f

Welcome to the forum!

From your photo, they appear to be 328D relays.

Check out this topic:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23634.0

The description of the 328D relay from the WE Catalog Cards suggests you may want to look into disposal procedures for hazardous materials:

Each is a nonadjustable, non-bridging relay consisting of a  mercury-whetted, sealed contact having biasing permanent magnets housed within a solenoidal coil contained in a case, arranged for printed wiring board mounting. Relay must be operated in a vertical position with "TOP" appearing on the upper surface. The sealed contact provides a transfer consisting of one front contact, one back contact, and a swinger contact which are continuously coated with mercury and enclosed in an atmosphere of hydrogen in a sealed glass tube. At all practical operating rates there will be a period during the transfer in either direction when all switch contacts will be electrically open. This transfer time is at least 0.04 millisecond.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

FrankieD

So, is the payphone salvageable? Or is it contaminated? I'm hoping that that brown fluid is not PCB oil.

RB

I think you may be able to clean up the board.
The relay seems to be a device with built in time delay.
You could probably replicate the circuit with modern components.
don't give up on it yet...

FrankieD

I mostly worried about it being PCBs. As I said, it's a very thick substance; not oily. I really don't know what to do, would they use PCBs for this type of application?

Just a worry wart, I guess. Any wisdom or guidance would be appreciated, you have no clue!

Jack Ryan

TelePlay

As an FYI, PCB is a thicker oil (30 to 40 weight motor oil thick) with a unique odor. One remediation superfund site I worked on in the 90's came to be by the site operator allowing the liquid to drip onto large steel shafts that rotated in an open bearing race to eliminate friction of very heavy steel parts. No attempt was made to catch excess oil that dripped from the lubricated part of the shaft.

PCB has great lubricating and electrical dielectric properties but was found to be a health hazard and its used discontinued. It does not naturally decompose. It is not sticky. Contaminated surfaces can be cleaned with ethanol or methanol which then becomes a hazardous waste.