News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ODD ROTARY DIAL FOR A WE 302

Started by long jumper, April 19, 2021, 03:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

long jumper

Bought this for 20.00 face book market place. Never seen this type dial on a 302. also the receiver has no marking on handle. Any help would be appreciated. will post some pics. For as much AS THIS PHONE IS BEAT UP IT STILL WORKS. BUT NOT SURE IF ITS A WE 302. NEVER SEEN A FINGER STOP AT THAT POSITION ON A 302 DIAL WEATHER IT WAS A # 4 #5 OR #6. ALSO HAS A DATE  7/40

< edit 04-19-21: images removed, rotated, reattached >

LarryInMichigan

That is an Automatic Electric dial.  The handset is Stromberg Carlson.  The phone itself is a WE 302.  It was probably used by an independent telco.

Larry

long jumper

Larry thank you for your reply. I am new to this forum. I consider myself more of a tinker. I have a small collection of all sorts of rotary phones.

RB

That is a good dial...
it appears to have the SPDT, as well as the SPST????
not positive, but if it is, then you have more options than the usual progressive switch version.
I am looking for one like yours. ;)

long jumper

Thanks for that tip. I didn't know dials from diffrent manufacturers were interchangeable. What is the advantage of having a SPDT ?

RB

The switches allow you to open, or short the receiver while dialing.
Not different mfg, just different configurations=more options :)

Babybearjs

its a frankenphone! someone threw it together with spare parts!
John

markosjal

Babybearjs, i disagree with you. Maybe for big city folk it is a frankenphone, but I agree with LarryaInMichigan and the independent telco theory as I see these all the time from small Rural Oregon Telcos with a mix of parts. Remeber AE made that dial to fit into the WE set intentionally. AE wanted to win over those independents and making compatible replacement parts and retrofit kits was one way of getting a foot in the door.  . I do not recall which way it went but there was even an official kit to mount an AE dial in. W E 500 or was that a WE dial in an AE 80? In fact i would love to have one of those kits
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Doug Rose

Signal Corps put AE dials in Metal 302s. I have found many this way. As for the SC handset, someone used what ever they had to make it work.

Frankenphone! I hate that term. This was what had to be done to make a phone work and that is no disgrace. Parts were parts. You didn't look at the manufacturer, you looked at the parts.

You did anything you could to get another phone working in your home away from the Big Telcos watch!

My Uncle Dickie was a tinkerer and I could see him being quite proud of getting it to work...Doug
Kidphone