News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

English Trimphone

Started by Doug Rose, May 13, 2021, 01:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I saw this on CL and have always wanted one.

Is this the English Trimline I have seen CJ and others show pics of?.....Doug

Kidphone

FABphones

These are called a Trimphone. That one looks ok to me.

Ask seller for photo of other side of handset, they are prone to cracking on the angles. Ask also for photo of the underneath, it will tell us which version and date. And a photo of the volume control side would be good to see.

Check the centre Opal is present, there were two versions, the earlier one is super hard to find and a three part fitting.

Maybe ask also if it has it's original (spiral/straight combo) line cord, and make sure the dial still turns ok.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphones on May 13, 2021, 01:46:43 PM
These are called a Trimphone. That one looks ok to me.

Ask seller for photo of other side of handset, they are prone to cracking on the angles. Ask also for photo of the underneath, it will tell us which version and date. And a photo of the volume control side would be good to see.

Check the centre Opal is present, there were two versions, the earlier one is super hard to find and a three part fitting.

Maybe ask also if it has it's original (spiral/straight combo) line cord, and make sure the dial still turns ok.
thanks CJ...Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

It also looks like the case has some fading, which is sadly pretty normal for these.

FABphones

They can be chemical sanded to bring the colour back up, but as tubaman says, fading is pretty normal for these - they usually held pride of 'show off' place in the homeowners sunny front window (for all passers by to see, hopefully hear, and admire).

That one looks to be a later version (no alpha-numberical dial) so my guess is it won't have the early Opal fitting.

LM Ericsson

Id say go for it. They don't show up pretty often
Regards,
-Grayson

Doug Rose

Thanks folks....we bought a small collection today. I will get things sorted out and post some pics. I appreciate all your input....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Yesterday Jan picked this up next town to our youngest daughter. FB ad with one pic of the phones piled on each other. Jan searched through them and we got these 10 at a true bargain price. As you can see by the pics, my work bench is a MESS!!! This weekend is is a priority to clean my area per the Boss.

Yes the trimphone is faded but complete.

What are you suggestions to try and remove the fade. It is a different phone...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 14, 2021, 08:15:02 AM
...What are you suggestions to try and remove the fade. It is a different phone...Doug

A Chemical Sand is really the only way to reveal the true colour underneath the plastic the sun has got to. I chemically sanded exactly the same colour Trimphone and it worked fine.

Search 'Chemical Sand', there are several threads covering 'how to'. This great thread by Teleplay goes through the process nicely:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20168

The flash is reflecting on your base photo so a bit tricky to read, but the Trimphone appears to be a 722 dated 1974.

LM Ericsson

I would keep it the way it is already and just polish it.
Regards,
-Grayson

Owain

HarrySmith

Interesting. It noticed in the description the transmitter & receiver are "adjacent" to one another. Seems like a strange arrangement. It also states there is a "horn" to carry the sound. Does anyone have a picture of this arrangement? I would like to see this setup.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Quote from: HarrySmith on May 14, 2021, 05:08:18 PM
...in the description the transmitter & receiver are "adjacent" to one another. Seems like a strange arrangement. It also states there is a "horn" to carry the sound. Does anyone have a picture of this arrangement...

Sam Hallas 'Let's take a Telephone to Bits - the Trimphone:
http://www.samhallas.co.uk/collection/bits_trimphone.htm

Owain

Quote from: HarrySmith on May 14, 2021, 05:08:18 PM
Interesting. It noticed in the description the transmitter & receiver are "adjacent" to one another. Seems like a strange arrangement.
There was not enough space in the narrow tapered mouth end for a carbon transmitter, so it was put up at the ear end.

It also means putting your hand over the mouthpiece doesn't cut off all sound.

HarrySmith

Very clever. Thanks for the link.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"