News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 20AL to Western Electric 300K wiring problems

Started by Jf510, July 21, 2021, 02:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jf510

Hi..I am trying to see if I can get my Western Electric 20AL candlestick to work on a Western Electric 300K oak ringer box. I am pretty sure the wiring in the candlestick is good using a schematic I found online and pretty sure I have the cords wired properly in the 300K. I do have dial tone but the phone will not ring. In fact when hooked up none of my house phones ring. I have the old landline. I know I am missing something but I don't know what or if it's even possible to get it to ring. The notes on the bottom of the schematic makes no sense to me. Any advice someone can give would be appreciated.

poplar1

If you disconnect the line from L1 and L2, then does the ringer operate when you turn the crank? (Not a good idea to operate the generator with the line connected! What kind of line do you have?)

If the ringer is good, you will still need to add a capacitor in series with it.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jf510

Hi..it does ring but not real good. It does need some type of adjustment. I need to look into that.  I had a feeling it needed something else added. What type of capacitor and how would I connect it? Thanks.

poplar1

You would disconnect one of the ringer wires from its screw terminal on the door (2nd photo). Connect a 1 microfarad ringer: one side of capacitor to the disconnected ringer wire, and the other side of the capacitor to the screw terminal on the ringer where you just removed the wire.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jf510

Ok thanks for that info. I just need to find out what a microfarad ringer is and where to get one. Getting these old phones to work is sure a learning experience which is what I like.

TelePlay

Quote from: Jf510 on July 22, 2021, 09:32:12 AM
Ok thanks for that info. I just need to find out what a microfarad ringer is . . .

I think that was a typo, he meant to say "1 microfarad capacitor" and this is a link to a pack of 10 on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Nichicon-XJ-Metallized-Polyester-Film-Capacitor-1uF-250v-1mfd-Radial-10-/201579846796

You could look around for a 1 each seller.

Another option is to get a pack of 5 or 10 0.47 uF caps like this and use 2 hooked up in parallel to get a 0.94 uF cap. That way you would have a few spare 0.47 uF caps which are more commonly used with ringers.

Jf510

Thanks for that. I have a few of the oak boxes so I am going to order a pack of 10 now.

Jf510

I got those capacitors in the mail today and put one in line on one side of the ringer wire as instructed and it works. I was happy about that. I just need to adjust the ringer. It's not very loud but thanks.

RB

The screws on the inside of the door should allow you to move the gongs closer together.
Regards.
Rod