News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1961 WE 711B Princess Find

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 14, 2013, 08:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

On Tuesday, my dad and I met with a fellow collector who had around 15 phones he wanted to sell. Among them (all of which I bought) were 3 1956 565 key sets, a Western Electric wooden wall phone empty shell, some 2500s, some modular 500s, and an early beige Princess, all for a total of $80. I was mainly interested in the WE 565s, because I've been wanting one for a while. I took a look at the Princess tonight, and I realized that one of the plungers looked like a party line plunger. I took a closer look at it, and saw the 2-line switch, then the "711B" marking on the bottom. Is this phone uncommon in any way?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

paul-f

Great find, Christian.

IMHO, the 711 is worth the price you paid for the lot.  For those who don't recognize the 711 model, look here:

http://www.paul-f.com/wePrincess.html#711

Hopefully you'll post photos of your set soon.

The 711 was made for a relatively short period and replaced with the 712.  It was a standard production phone, so isn't fantastically rare.  But it is uncommon.  It's definitely a good set for a complete Princess collection.

Read up on them in the BSPs.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks for the info on the 711. To add to the value, the guy I bought it from said he had the original box that came with it, but forgot to give it to me when I was there.
Christian Petterson

paul-f

WOW !!

Definitely worth another trip.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WEBellSystemChristian

It's funny, because the only other rotary Princess I have (a 1963 in pink) has the original box as well.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Wow!! Now that is an awesome find.

I'm interested in those multilines, can you post some pics?

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Ok, so here are the pics of the 711B. I only did a little light scratch removal, and it already looks close to new.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

I am jealous, that's all I can say.

Though, can we have a picture of your multilines? Are they just black? (as I look at my 1961 565 to the left of my monitor.)

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 14, 2013, 10:41:47 PM
I am jealous, that's all I can say.

Though, can we have a picture of your multilines? Are they just black? (as I look at my 1961 565 to the left of my monitor.)

Ben

Yes, they are all black. I think I'll make a topic tomorrow night about the lot of phones. (Too tired to take pictures tonight.) One of them had the handset and dial replaced in 1966, so the dial is sadly plastic, with a missing ringer. The other two have original parts, but one of the two has missing mechanisms to operate the keys, so I'll have to part out the clear-plastic-dial 565 :'(
Christian Petterson

SUnset2

I just got a 711B two-line Princess, also from 1961.  It has the slide switch and a momentary next to it.  It does not have a pull-up plunger, however.  It needs a new handset cord. I might be able to swipe one off of a faded aqua 500.  It's been wired into a 4 prong plug, with the extra spade lugs cut off.