News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WEBellSystemChristian's Bedroom Telephone Museum

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, January 28, 2014, 05:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

For the last few months, I've been working on converting and modifying my bedroom to display restored, working phones. For weeks on end, I have been going through all of my non-telephone stuff (die-cast cars, books, early childhood toys, etc) and sorting it into labeled boxes that were put in the basement. A Panasonic 616 was installed, along with about 30 4 prong/modular outlets along the wall (Thanks goes to my Dad for doing some of the wiring). A lot of the hassle that would have cost many more months of work was eliminated, thanks to the shelving that was built in my room before my family moved into the house.

I divided my collection of phones into different groups; 500s in chronological order (oldest to latest) on the top shelf, and any other Western Electric phones divided by model type (also in model age order) on the bottom shelves. I've only started to install my phones, so I have some empty or almost empty shelves for now where I'm still building my collection (for example, I only have one WE 5302).  I'll be making updates as phones are restored and put on the shelf, along with some additional model types being installed and relocated to different shelf sections. For each phone, I will add a dispay card with a short discription about the phone, where it came from, what changes were made to that model on the year it was made, etc.

I have a long way to go, but I'm looking forward to building my mini-museum!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

jsowers

I like your display a lot. Especially the way you turned the phones at an angle. That's usually the view the phone company used to display them in ads. Do you have the Princesses wired to a transformer so the dials light? You have an excellent place to display phones. Hang onto these pictures and keep taking them so you can see how your collection is progressing. You'll be surprised how all the holes get filled in.

The shelves with the mini-blinds might come in handy to display those NOS phones that shouldn't see daylight.  ;)
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: jsowers on January 28, 2014, 06:51:57 PM
I like your display a lot. Especially the way you turned the phones at an angle. That's usually the view the phone company used to display them in ads. Do you have the Princesses wired to a transformer so the dials light? You have an excellent place to display phones. Hang onto these pictures and keep taking them so you can see how your collection is progressing. You'll be surprised how all the holes get filled in.

The shelves with the mini-blinds might come in handy to display those NOS phones that shouldn't see daylight.  ;)

Thanks! About the Princesses, I put them in that space, only because there's an outlet there. I was recently given a WE transformer for Princesses, and it's tucked in the corner of of the cabinet so I can plug in any Princess to light it up :).
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Wow, Christian, very nice, and a huge bedroom too!

I am envious of you display cards, something I have always thought of doing. As well as connecting up some sort of key system, which has not yet happened.

Maybe, you have inspired me for my next weekend project, but I will need to find a way to conceal wires to the Panisonic 616. What did you do, or are the jacks connected to nothing?

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

The jacks are all wired to the 616.  Two or three jacks are wired to each extension, so some phones share an extension number.  They're attached to a cable baseboard which serves as a mount and a cable duct to hide the cables.

I got my cable baseboard at Menard's, which I think you have in your area ( http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/rough-electrical/surface-mount-raceways/white-5-cablemate-baseboard/p-1464897-c-9801.htm ).  The baseboard just attaches to the wall, and it's paintable if you want.  It hinges open to wire it and then snaps shut. There's an 11% rebate offer right now too!   We used about 300 feet of cable to wire all the jacks.

Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's a better picture of the baseboard.  The computer grommets on the shelf are used more to keep excess cable out of sight than anything else, but they'll also let me plug in phones that I keep on lower shelves.
Christian Petterson

Dave203

That's a very nice and well thought out setup you have there. I hope to have something nice like that for myself one day   8)

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on January 28, 2014, 07:39:10 PM
I got my cable baseboard at Menard's,  . . .

Christian, I like how you have that, though I looked at the home depot and saw something different, but that stuff is basically the same. Though, how if I did it the baseboard would run vertically (3 shelfs) and 1 jack per shelf, (excluding the high up top.)

I am planning on finishing the display, by refinishing 3 more boards and spanning between two shelfs, over my computer. Though, I will hopefully be done with that by Spring Break, where I would do the molding and wiring for the working display.

Ben

LarryInMichigan

That's a great display.  I sure hope that the phones don't all ring when someone calls, especially in the middle of the night.  I certainly wouldn't want to wake to 40 phones ringing in my bedroom at 2AM :D

Larry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 28, 2014, 10:06:09 PM
That's a great display.  I sure hope that the phones don't all ring when someone calls, especially in the middle of the night.  I certainly wouldn't want to wake to 40 phones ringing in my bedroom at 2AM :D

Larry

Yeah, I agree with Larry, though I hope you don't have your Panasonic 616 connected to the line, at least, I wouldn't.

Ben

Matilo Telephones

LOL, yes Christian. What is your phone number?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

HarrySmith

Nice display! Great job Christian, it's a good thing your Dad supports your addiction and helps out! I hope you have another wall, that will fill up quickly ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

DavePEI

Next thing on the list will be to put a new wing on the house to display the future collection :)   Or, move your collection into the house next door as I had to!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Matilo Telephones

First tell the parents to find their own place.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

AE40FAN

I gotta say I'm inspired by your display.  I may "borrow" your information card idea when I finally decide to properly display my own collection.