News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

andre_janew's phone collection

Started by andre_janew, December 15, 2014, 07:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andre_janew

Among my phone stuff, I have a 4-prong jack.  I haven't hooked it up yet.  I may use it with some other  things to create a combination adapter and extension cord.

andre_janew

If any pictures in this thread  look blurry, it may not be my camera.  It could be me.  I may need to switch to decaf!

Doug Rose

Try using a flash and keep the caffeine. I try to take the majority of my pictures outside in natural light, even in the middle of winter. I have an old camera that takes AA batteries and still get a true picture. Try using an app to help with you crop and doctor you pictures. I use an app from Olympus that is great and I haven't had an Olympus camera in years...Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

The first picture of the Red 2500, the one that is head on, is in pretty good focus but can be framed better. The other picture from the side is way out of focus.
That is some super long cord, looks better than 10 feet to me!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

It might be as simple as making a real effort not to move the camera while clicking the button. I got so that I was always looking for something to sit the camera on while I pushed the button to avoid the slight movement of the camera causing the pictures to be blurred.

The head on picture of the red 2500 on the kitchen counter is pretty good compared to the shot from the side.

Terry

andre_janew

I've ordered a tripod for my camera.  That may help me take better pictures.  I think these digital cameras may be more sensitive to movement than the ones that used actual film.

andre_janew

I'll be getting a black WE2500 soon.  I recently bought it on eBay.  Here's the link:

www.ebay.com/itm/141530596632

As you can tell, it is a bit dusty.  I plan to clean it up.  Hopefully it will look much better then.

andre_janew

I now have my black WE2500.  I have two pictures of it before I wiped the dust off and two of it after I wiped the dust off.  The box in the background is the box that it came in.

andre_janew

I'll be getting a 1954 Western Electric 500 soon. I bought it on eBay.  Here is the link:

www.ebay.com/itm/331450131295

Doug Rose

Andre...if you are purchasing telephones on $$ amount only ....you will be disappointed. Sooner or later. Cheap is cheap for a reason. This '54 has a refurbed handset. See the hole in the middle of the receiver. It is a tell tale give away for a newer handset. Happened all the time, especially with 500 sets. Some times you will find a steal, but usually you have to pay to get. JMHO....Doug
Kidphone

andre_janew

I have no idea when they started putting the hole in the center of the receiver.  It could be worse.  The dial could have a clear plastic wheel.  It doesn't and I know that doesn't mean it is original.  If the dial is a 1962 dial, then I will put it on my dial-less 500C which was made in 1962.  I will then make the 1954 into a dial-less 500C.

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on January 22, 2015, 06:49:12 PM
I have no idea when they started putting the hole in the center of the receiver.  It could be worse.  The dial could have a clear plastic wheel.  It doesn't and I know that doesn't mean it is original.  If the dial is a 1962 dial, then I will put it on my dial-less 500C which was made in 1962.  I will then make the 1954 into a dial-less 500C.

Transmitter and receiver caps gained that center hole when WECo switched injection molding techniques with the arrival of new types of plastic, ABS, in 1959.
The handset on that set is of a much later date, and likely all the plastics have been replaced during refurbishing. The base looks in good shape and the dial is probably original.

But, pardon me, when I say this: I think you need to develop a better collecting strategy. Switching parts around from phone to phone isn't one, especially when you haven't researched what goes together period-wise.
Dial blanks in 1954 were different than in the 1960s. I am glad you got a cheap phone, if nothing better you have some spare parts. The housing can be renovated, the paint does come off.

andre_janew

I found a G1 handset on eBay today.  I can't tell what kind of cap is on the receiver because the pictures are a bit dark, but the description does give me hope.  Here's the link:

www.ebay.com/itm/281570742887

If I position things just right, the picture will lighten up.  I didn't see a hole in the center, so I put a few bids on it.  It may be what I need after all!

Mr. Bones

Looks like you're good, Andre... good luck!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

andre_janew

Thanks.  I should be getting it within a few days now.