News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pictures of My Telephone Collection - ETS1979

Started by ETS1979, March 11, 2010, 08:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Well, I messed up.  I tried to split the topic with the red phone.  I ended up making a separate topic with just the two pictures that were in "Cracked Blue 302".  It removed the red phones from that topic.  I deleted the "new" split topic.   What you're gong to have to do is manually post those pictures again in this topic.

ETS you can just go back and modify your posting and add the photos.  If you reply to this message and post them here they will be separated by all the other posts in between.

It's easy to move a "topic" but so easy to move a post within a "topic".

~Dennis

ETS1979

I reposted the red phone photos at the top of the topic.  I hope this makes viewing easier!  One question in the replies was whether I had any info on 302 production, etc.  Unfortunately I do not.  I have had similar questions myself.  For instance,  I have a prewar '41 Ivory 302 and the recently acquired blue 302.  Which is more rare?...I will post photos of my '41 Ivory soon.

Someone else asked about the dial plates.  If I recall correctly, only my blue and ivory have their original plates.  The others I replaced with nice porcelain replacements.  I do not use overlays on original phones.

ntophones

Those phones are just incredible. The depth of shine is remarkable--I'd say yes, you are doing them "right"!
--nto

ETS1979

Here are some photos of my 1941 Ivory. It was different from the later ones in several ways.  It had matching color plungers, solid plastic handset and a metal carrying handle insert.  Also it appears to be a darker shade of "Ivory", maybe you could even call it yellow.  When I first got the phone I thought it was badly discolored.  I don't think this is the case because of the unifomity of the color and and because the color appears to be the same all through the plastic.   Though it is not as nice as some of my other phones, it is one of my favorites because I believe it to be pretty rare.  Anyone have any comments on the rarity factor?

ETS1979

Note the internal cracking in the solid plastic handset.

ETS1979

ETS1979

I include this picture of the original fingerwheel to give you an idea what the telephone was like when I got it.  It was in pretty rough shape.

Phonesrfun

ETS:

I don't know if you know it or not, but right next to the button you use to browse for pictures to upload is a thing that says "(more attachments)"  This way you can upload multiple photos in one post.

Now back to the topic.  Those are BEAUTIFUL examples.  I have two ivory 302's and an ivory 354.  I need to get some other colors!

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

ETS1979

Thanks for the posting info Bill.  I had not noticed the "more options" drop down menu.  I had been using a website called "Image Shack" to post my pictures.  It should be easier using the method you suggest. I'll try it next time I post pictures.  Thanks again.

Jim Stettler

In January I was corresponding with Jon Kolger about early 302's.
The following is a compilation of his e-mails on the subject:

Yes the handsets were completely solid.  I don't remember if the handsets
and caps were grooved... I don't have one in front of me to check it out.
All my examples are in storage.

There were other differences as well:  The handset cap threads were
different than the latter versions; the plastic used to make it was
different, much more opaque and not so translucent;  The hookswitch buttons
were the same color as the phone; the little finger cup piece underneath the
hookswitch was made of metal painted the same color as the phone; and the
dial, if it had one, had a completely different style of fingerwheel (much
thicker) and method of mounting it to the dial.  Also, the dial card had to
be inserted inside the fingerwheel AFTER the fingerwheel was attached.

I'm still looking for a blue example of these early 302s.  I have all the
other colors.

I just looked at a green 302 dated 1941 and it has a solid handset with no
grooves on the handle or caps.  I can't say definitively that they were all
this way, but I would say it is very likely.  I hope this helps...

The sets with the colored plungers were NOT the smaller plungers, just the
regular size plungers of the latter 302.  The dials were 5J with the white
painted housings.  I'm not sure when they started to make these early
colored sets.... Most of mine have a 1941 date, but I seem to recall having
one dated 1939.  I'm pretty sure I have a NOS 5J dial somewhere dated 1937.
I'm also not sure when when they started to make 302s again.  Dave Johnson
just stated 1945 on the listserv.  I don't know when they started to make
the colored sets... I've never paid that much attention to the dates on
mine... Probably early 50s.

Jon

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

JorgeAmely

ETS:

Hats off to your sir. That ivory phone is beautiful. And you do all this without any power tools? Can you tell us how many hours it took to restore this set?

Jorge

ETS1979

I do all of my polishing by hand.  I do not have much experience with power tool buffing and have a great fear of ruining a valuable telephone.  I have not kept logs of the amount of time I have spent on each phone, but it is a lot.  A ballpark guess would be about 40 hrs.  I am keeping a log on the blue 302.  It will be ineresting to to see what the total is.

All the above info about prewar colored 302's seems consistent with what I have observed on my phone.  All the date codes matched at 1941 when I received the phone except the dial plate.  I presume the fingerwheel (shown above) was replaced at that time also and that is why it is not the thick one described above. 

I am looking for a nice correctly dated (early 1941) dial plate for my '41 Ivory if anyone has one to sell or trade.

Tonyrotary

ETS, I really love the red and ivory 302's. I really want a nice ivory one but as you well know, finding one in decent shape is very tough. I have a question about the colored 302's Do they seem to get a better shine than the plain old black ones? I got my black 302 fairly shiny but your colored 302's just are amazing! 

ETS1979

Its funny you should ask that question.  Earlier today I took a photo of my black 302 that received the same treatment as my colored ones.  Though the photo has a glare on the upper right,  I will post it anyway.  I probably should have dusted off the telephone before I took the photo, also.