and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pictures of My Telephone Collection - ETS1979

Started by ETS1979, March 11, 2010, 08:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

Stephen

ETS1979

This is one of the newer phones in my collection.  I started out planning on doing just a clean and detail.  But I ended up doing a full resto on it.  If you are thinking its silly spending that much effort on a phone that's worth less than  $100, you would probably be right.

ntophones

Hello ETS1979--
I wonder, what compound do you use to polish your phones? They are very remarkable--almost translucent quality.
Very nice.
nto
--nto

JorgeAmely

ETS:

Do you do some restoration "under the hood" also?

Jorge

Phonesrfun

That blue one looks good enough to eat!  Kind of like candy, or a glazed cake.  Aghhhh.  My mouth is watering.
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

ETS1979

I usually use 3M products for final polishing.  Though they are pricey ($10-$20/16OZ.) I have had good luck with them. After sanding,  I use 3M Rubbing Compound (PT#39002) available at most auto stores.  For final polish I was using a 3M cleaner wax.  I found out about a week ago it has been discontinued. Aarrghh!   I hate that!  I will try what I believe to be the replacement (PT#39006) and see if that works the same as the previous version.  I hope so!

I usually take the minimalist approach under the hood.  Unless its really grungy, dirty or rusty I usually am satisfied with a clean and detail.

McHeath

You certainly get a great shine with those products.  I may have to get them and give it a try, my old tried and true TR-3 Resin Glaze does not compete. 

That blue late model 500 is a really nice example of the last of the line. 

ETS1979

This is an early wall phone that I have mounted in my 1950's basement bar.  All date codes I could find match at 1956.  Note the wooden mounting plate which I believe to be of WE manufacture.  The color I used to repaint the mounting plate is an off the shelf color I got at my local True Value hardware store.  How lucky is that?

McHeath

Nice!  A sweet bright red 554 and an early one to boot, great phone.

mienaichizu

ETS, you have a very nice collection out there especially your colored 302's, I like it

I still can't find a 302 here in the Philippines

Greg G.

Quote from: ETS1979 on March 27, 2010, 08:25:42 PM
This is an early wall phone that I have mounted in my 1950's basement bar.  All date codes I could find match at 1956.  Note the wooden mounting plate which I believe to be of WE manufacture.  The color I used to repaint the mounting plate is an off the shelf color I got at my local True Value hardware store.  How lucky is that?

I'm curious as to how you attached it to the wall.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

ETS1979

I used a tapcon kit with matching masonry bit through the predrilled holes in the wood mounting plate into the wall cinder block.

ETS1979

Here's something unique.  A telephone "dress up" kit.  Underneath is a standard every day black 302.  All the pink overlays snap into place.  Instant colored 302!  I don't know how well these kits sold back then, but I would think there was a pretty good market for them because of the high cost and lack of availability of the real colored 302's.