Telephone Talk > Collector's Corner

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

(1/207) > >>

Dan/Panther:
I recently posted a thread and then retracted it.
I was watching an auction, and got outbid earlier. I was going to share about it, because I was not going to bid higher than the guy did. The bid showed at $510.00. I had bid $500.00.
Well I posted the auction and in the mean time I went back to it, and found out the guy had withdrew his bid. I of course did not want to publish the auction, for obvious reasons. Well it ended and I did win for $224.00. I hope not a fools bid.
Here are 3 photos to compare.

1) In the first photo, one I'm sure we are all familiar with, notice the numbers and letters around the 10 position. In case you can,t make it out it says;
"O/ Operator/ Z

2) In the second photo also check the numbers and letters around the 10 position. "O/ Operator/ Z. Dennis mentioned in another thread recently a VERY RARE number wheel and probably impossibly to find.

3) Also notice the plunger levers are flat horizontally, and not vertical.
Notice the equalizer box left of  the dial.

4) Notice in the last photo, something I have never even heard of before.
It says;

"Do Not Open, In case of set trouble,  return set to Bell Telephone Laboratories, Murray Hill, New Jersey."

5) Notice in Pauls photo of VERY EARLIEST 500 sets, the plunger levers are vertical, in the photo of the phone I won, they are laying horizontally.

I know it's rough, but it looks beautiful to me. Also notice the fingerwheel is broken, and appears it was made from plastic.

I think I have either scored a 49-500, or a prototype 500. Any comments ?
When I get it, I promise many detailed photos.
D/P

bwanna:
got my fingers x'd for ya d/p.......but i wonder why did the first guy withdraw his bid ???

Dan/Panther:
His bid was $1601.00, I think he panicked and was afraid he might win. I was sweating bullets at $500.00, then I upped it it $750.00 after I saw his bid of $1601.00. What really &&&&ed me off was, it revealed my maximum bid, and I had to up it in hopes the $500 would stick in everyone mind, and not think I would up it because it was revealed.
then it went to the wire at $15.50, when I refreshed I thought I had won it at $15.50, and that I had made a judgment error in what I thought was looking at. Then it finished at $224.00. I didn't panic at the price, because it confirmed, I was not the only one that saw it's potential, 130 people viewed the auction.
this is why I don't like it when people post auction that are active, other than the contest we have. This I thought was a sleeper because the photos were bad and no one was asking questions.
I must say to Jorge, I'm sorry I pulled the original post, and did not give the link to the auction, it had 2 hours to go. I hope you understand.

Dennis told me, when I said I would love to have a 500 with my Birth year, but unfortunately I was born in 1949. He said; "Don't give up, there may be one in your future, or something similar. He may well have been right, I sure hope so.
D/P

JorgeAmely:
D/P:

Good luck with that phone. At your convenience, please post the auction number.

McHeath:
This is super exciting Dan!  I think you've found the Holy Grail of 500 sets!  That dial bezel alone has to be one of only a few, if any are still left.  Does it have a cover and handset?

Great find and great deal!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version