News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first Payphone WE 233G

Started by captroosh, July 17, 2021, 04:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Side by side image attached showing single slot payphone coin box to left, and three slot payphone coin box (from link above) to right.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

I see them on eBay and thryxarent that expensive.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Some payphone collectors suggest not using a coin  box or at least not use the top.
This saves aggravation if the top cover  gets stuck on removal.
The box can be very hard to remove if this happens.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other common suggested point  :  change all your top locks to a 29-S (AE)
The cut of a 29-S is a lot less likely to break vs many other key #'s.
Also the 29-S is a very popular lock and it is relatively  easy to locate the lock and good original keys and decent repro keys.

Jim S.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Yea I agree with that. I've had covers get stuck and it's not fun trying to get them free.
There is no obvious reason to use them anyway.
Good point, Jim
KEN

Payphone installer

Covers don't get stuck unless you did not reset the trigger when box is installed. But the box is a bad idea period as if you loose the key it screws with trying to access the vault in the future. I sell plastic doors so if you lose the key you just break it with a hammer. Your phone is missing a hook I have it if you need it. You have found a great original piece. It will work as it is with the correct subset and wiring. It will not return and collect money without a payphone controller. Top lock is hard to find, 29s is easier then most to get. I have those to. Jim

Key2871

Not to contradict what you said Jim, but I had an NE that got stuck a couple times early on in owning it.
I had to do some filing on the track to help eliminate the issue. It got buggered up somehow and the leaver got hung up at times

And I've seen your vault doors for plastic they look great, What a great idea. Good solution if someone looses the keys.
KEN

captroosh

Quote from: Payphone installer on July 20, 2021, 09:39:07 PM
Covers don't get stuck unless you did not reset the trigger when box is installed. But the box is a bad idea period as if you loose the key it screws with trying to access the vault in the future. I sell plastic doors so if you lose the key you just break it with a hammer. Your phone is missing a hook I have it if you need it. You have found a great original piece. It will work as it is with the correct subset and wiring. It will not return and collect money without a payphone controller. Top lock is hard to find, 29s is easier then most to get. I have those to. Jim
Jim, Thank you, and everyone else for the Intel. I have decided to forgo the coinbox for all the reasons stated here. I am cannibalizing an ITT 554 from what I'm told its the same guts as a 500 which I've read would make up the subset.  I want it to function as a phone but don't need the coin op to work. I do definitely need the hook and locks and door. I would be grateful if you would PM some prices, or post here, whatever works for you. I am curious to know something though. There is one lock on it, I think its called a barrel lock. It doesn't look like it locks anything. That's good because I don't have a key. What purpose did it serve?

One other question. This looks like it has collected a lot of dirt.  I really would like to clean the insides up. Any Tips?  Should I disassemble it? I don't want to break anything. Thanks again for all your help. John
Capt. Roosh.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Key2871

I've just used mild soap and water, rinse and let dry.
A little compressed air helps get stuff out of small spaces. Use of a small brush tooth brush is good for getting stuff loose.
Just be careful around the switches not to bend any thing out of adjustment.
KEN

captroosh

Quote from: Key2871 on July 21, 2021, 04:21:32 PM
I've just used mild soap and water, rinse and let dry.
A little compressed air helps get stuff out of small spaces. Use of a small brush tooth brush is good for getting stuff loose.
Just be careful around the switches not to bend any thing out of adjustment.
Sounds like plan. Yeah I didn't want to take it apart. Nothing ever goes back together again without losing or having extra parts. LOL
Capt. Roosh.

captroosh

Think I goofed in the cleaning department on the handset. I had used acetone to remove paint flecks in the past with good results. I tried that on the one on this phone and the black literally came off on the cloth. It was in fairly rough cosmetic shape to start. Usual methods didn't work to well. The finish was dull to begin with but now has best term I can use is rubmarks. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to buff them out if at all possible?
Capt. Roosh.

FABphones

Plenty of info on here :), search Chemical Sanding, this one for ABS:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20168

Could you add a photo?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

captroosh

Thanks for the Link. When I get home sometime tonight, I will take a photo and post it.
Capt. Roosh.

Key2871

Believe it or not rubbing alcohol will remove paint specks. Or denatured alcohol will work
But wear gloves, good rubber gloves.
Acetone is way harsh for plastics. Unless your removing fading.
KEN

TelePlay

Quote from: captroosh on August 09, 2021, 10:27:37 AM
Think I goofed in the cleaning department on the handset. I had used acetone to remove paint flecks in the past with good results. I tried that on the one on this phone and the black literally came off on the cloth. It was in fairly rough cosmetic shape to start. Usual methods didn't work to well. The finish was dull to begin with but now has best term I can use is rubmarks. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to buff them out if at all possible?

Another way is starting with the 5th paragraph of this topic

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20531.0

which begins "At that point, I had some really ugly looking plastics on my bench. Next step, using a 400 grit sanding block" to remove the acetone created marks by sanding them off with first 400 grit paper and then working up to 2,000 grit using the method after that point in the topic.

BTW, acetone will take paint spots off of Bakelite without damage. As Key2871 said, alcohol is best on plastics, or Goof-Off/Go-Be-Gone, on a cue tip.

captroosh

Ok here are the pictures.the lines are kind of fine.
Capt. Roosh.