News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Burled Walnut NE #1

Started by Doug Rose, June 29, 2022, 02:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I put the #6 open face dial as Harry had commented on and cloth cords to match.

It bothered me not have the original dial on it, so I swapped it back on.

I do try to keep the original parts when rebuilding a phone, although I did put a older heavy Brass finger wheel as I did not like the Black dial on Mottled Brown.

So this is it for now!!  ;D  ..Doug

Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: poplar1 on June 29, 2022, 04:56:20 PMUniphones were sold to the independents. Bell Canada did not buy Uniphones, only the 302s. NE 302s were also sold to independents, even in the U.S.
Next question is why did NE make the #1 and #2 in Burled Walnut? The majority of the sets were Black? Every Burled Walnut set I have seen came with Black cords and a Black Finger wheel.

Wasn't it harder to make the Burled Walnut instead of black?

Why make this beautiful phone in a great mottle brown design, only to paint them black to sell them! Even the plungers are Burled Walnut.

This is such an attractive set....Doug
Kidphone

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 03, 2022, 01:07:38 PMNext question is why did NE make the #1 and #2 in Burled Walnut? The majority of the sets were Black? Every Burled Walnut set I have seen came with Black cords and a Black Finger wheel.

Wasn't it harder to make the Burled Walnut instead of black?

Why make this beautiful phone in a great mottle brown design, only to paint them black to sell them! Even the plungers are Burled Walnut.

This is such an attractive set....Doug

Dunno for sure, but NE was also big in radios and the walnut bakelite was popular in that genre, so why not offer that as an option in their all bakelite telephone product line as a premium product?  I'm guessing that NE didn't paint the phone black but more likely the phone company that purchased it did that later, perhaps to disguise the crack.
Cliff

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: Jon Kolger on June 30, 2022, 10:49:58 PMDidn't these normally come with a brown painted fingerwheel?  Seems I read that somewhere, probably on this forum.
They normally came with a black metal fingerwheel, unless they had a GPO dial, in which case the fingerwheel was nickle or chrome.

Mike