News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ralf's Small, but Growing, Collection

Started by Ralf, February 29, 2024, 06:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralf

I've been told that everyone loves pictures, so I thought I'd post a few from my small (but growing) collection.  Although I have some modern VoIP phones and cell phones, I'm excluding those to focus on the earlier stuff.

From left to right:
  • a Heemaf 1955 phone with mismatched handset made by Ericsson for PTT ($5 from resale thrift shop)
  • a thermoplastic 1940s Western Electric 302 ($15 from a retired Southwestern Bell employee)
  • a thermoplastic 1940s Western Electric 302 ($12.50 from local antique store)
  • a Western Electric 500 ($10 from a retired Southwestern Bell employee)

Both of the 302s need some degree of restoration work, mostly with the cracks of the plastic shells.

I have a fully restored pre-WW2 zinc die-cast Western Electric 302 that is on a delivery truck heading to my front door next week.  Photos will follow of the new 302.

Ralf

I need to make a correction. The second phone from the left is actually a Western Electric 306, not a 302. Unfortunately, the forum doesn't let me edit the original post, so I'm making a note of it here.

From left to right:
  • a Heemaf 1955 phone with mismatched handset made by Ericsson for PTT ($5 from resale thrift shop)
  • a thermoplastic 1940s Western Electric 306 ($15 from a retired Southwestern Bell employee)
  • a thermoplastic 1940s Western Electric 302 ($12.50 from local antique store)
  • a Western Electric 500 ($10 from a retired Southwestern Bell employee)

Thanks to @poplar1 and @MMikeJBenN27 for finding my identification error in a different discussion Ralf's first Western Electric 302 306 Restoration Journal.

Ralf

AL_as_needed

I see a theme of nice phones at even nicer prices, good job! And fear not, these collections find a way to grow all on their own.
TWinbrook7

Ralf

Included are pictures of my newest collection piece: a pre-WW2 black Western Electric 302, with a die-cast zinc casing and the original number card on the dial. It's in superb shape and works perfectly. I acquired it from a seller in the area.
---
Ralf

Ralf

Here's a "hammered blue" pre-WW2 Western Electric 302, housed in a zinc die-cast shell. While I'm aware that both the color and the cords are not original, I acquired it specifically for use as my regular desk phone. For those curious, it was purchased from Old Phone Works. We did pay a premium for it, and I understand that some collectors might not hold it in high regard, but I was fully aware of this at the time of purchase.

I like blue!  ;D

---
Ralf

Ralf

Quote from: AL_as_needed on March 04, 2024, 05:05:43 PMI see a theme of nice phones at even nicer prices, good job! And fear not, these collections find a way to grow all on their own.

Absolutely! My collection is indeed expanding. A friend recently directed me to a local seller who had a zinc die-cast version of a WE 302 available. I managed to acquire it at a fair price, and I've just shared some pictures of it a few moments ago

Ralf

Here's a snapshot of another pre-WW2 zinc die-cast Western Electric 302 I recently added to my collection. As shown in the photo, it's showcased on an antique gossip chair, also known as a telephone chair.   More photos of the phone to follow.

---
Ralf

MMikeJBenN27

It is still nice, and to me the main thing is if it is still stock on the inside.

Mike