News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

wds - My Collection Pictures.

Started by wds, October 22, 2010, 05:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I finally got some of my wood phones off the shelves, and on the wall.  Good start, but more to go.
Dave

AE_Collector

Very nice Dave! You have been busy for awhile mounting all those phones. I like the Mercedes dial upgrade on the little two piece wall set. Is it a 293?

Terry

wds

It's a Kellogg F740S.  We had a discussion about that phone a while back, but I can't find it now.  It's a great phone.
Dave

AE_Collector

wds

I didn't get any phones at the yard sales this weekend, but I did pick up a couple of glass display cases.  Not sure which group of phones will go into the case, but whichever phones go in these will stay nice and dust free.
Dave

wds

Kellogg 1100 that I just got - bakelite polished up like new.  Frequency ringer, but it rings nice and loud.  My first wall phone - been waiting a long time to get one that wasn't priced beyond my reach.
Dave

wds

I've been working on the wall phone display seems like all summer, and finally have most of them up.  I'll update the pictures as soon as I get some more up.  Still working on the desk phones.  Pictures are from left to right on the wall.  A couple of the wood phones still need to be cleaned up, which I was going to do this winter.
Dave

WesternElectricBen

wds

Picked up a nice AE 40, but this one is a Phillips Made in Canada version.  This is my first Phillips version.  GPO dial.  The most unusual item is an actual date tag.  Jan 1950.  I'll post better pictures tonight after I've had a chance to clean it up a little bit.  I'll fill out a survey form also.
Dave

DavePEI

This is the Phillips plant in Brockville on King St. West where this phone was made. John Lingley (the man who signed the phone)  lived a few blocks away from us. AE moved its phone production to a newly built plant on Strowger Boulevard in 1954, the old plant becoming Phillips Wire and Cable. The plant was finally torn down in 2009 to make room for a housing development. The last part of the plant to fall was the huge smoke stack - I have a photo of its falling.

The GTE/AE plant which replaced this one for phone construction in 1954 still exists, but most recently was converted into an industrial mall.

As I was born only a couple of years before phone construction was moved, I only remember this factory from the outside, but did know the new plant pretty well, as I seized every chance to see it! Sadly, after I left Brockville, AE closed down in Brockville, but I have vivid memories of it from when I was a youth!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

wds

Wow - it's pretty neat that this phone was born around the corner from you and the last guy to sign the phone also lived close by.  Do you run across many signed phones from that plant? 
Dave

DavePEI

I only have two made in the plant, an AE40 and an AE80, but both had the order card in them... It seems to have been a normal practice until production moved up to Strowger Blvd.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

wds

Here's pictures after the cleaning.  Polished up really nice.
Dave

wds

Here's a picture of three of my Dean Candlestsicks.  I think these are nicer looking than some of the others like WE.  C/S on the left has a marked bakelite Dean receiver, the other two are metal receivers.  I always thought the Cosmo was a very cool looking phone.  I think when it was introduced it was used for rough service applications, but I think the styling is very modern and still very attractive.  All three are very rugged and better built than the WE or AE sticks.
Dave

Weco355aman

Phil