News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Few Phones.... 302's and a 5302 - George Knighton

Started by George Knighton, December 21, 2012, 09:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Knighton

Wow.  The transmitter is an F1.  It's marked S10/45 and T2 53.

I didn't even know these things had F1 transmitters.

You're giving me a wealth of information.  Thank you so much.
Annoying new poster.

poplar1

New E1 handsets had bullet transmitters (395) from 1928-1934 or '35 and F1 transmitters (625A) from 1935-1938. When the phones were rebuilt, they got the later transmitter.

1953 is when your transmitter (made in 1945) was recharged. The 164A number plate doesn't have a Z so it is 1953 or later. The H3AG and D4AN cords are dated on the restraints.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Put red ringer wire on L1 and black ringer wire on K if you want it to ring.

This is where a Panasonic 61610 key system is handy because these old ringers otherwise load your line down. Two of these ringers are about as thirsty as 5 ringers in a 500.

George Knighton

Quote from: poplar1 on January 08, 2013, 12:15:31 PM
Put red ringer wire on L1 and black ringer wire on K if you want it to ring.
Thanks.  I'll move the wires, but I have a feeling this will be sitting on a shelf for a while.

QuoteThis is where a Panasonic 61610 key system is handy because these old ringers otherwise load your line down. Two of these ringers are about as thirsty as 5 ringers in a 500.
I'll start watching eBay to find a good deal on one.  :-)

Quote from: poplar1 on January 08, 2013, 12:10:22 PMThe H3AG and D4AN cords are dated on the restraints.
D4AN says 53!  Wow!  Really surprised.

The other cord has no restraint and was probably hacked in.  It has a yellow wire wrapped hard around it to avoid contact with anything other than the insulation, and now that I've been made to look at it closely I realise that it is brown plastic instead of the black plastic of the other cords.
Annoying new poster.

Greg G.

Quote from: George Knighton on December 22, 2012, 03:05:22 PM
There's two toddlers in the house.  I'm probably lucky the cord's still attached.

I get nervous when I hear about toddlers being around phones:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6045.0
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

poplar1

George, the braided cords were brown (-9 color code) but the rubber ones are black (-3). Maybe it changed color after 60 years? This is the same handset cord as on your 354 pictured in reply #20 above.

Mr. Bones

George,

Nice additions to your collection! You're a hard guy to follow, 'keeping up with the Knightons!'! :D

Largely due to you, (or it could be my own telephonemania,) I've purchased some 302's in the last month. Always wanted at least one, ended up, of course, having to get a plastic, and metal one.

I love the 302's, always have, but I must admit that I find my AE40 nicer-looking.

Now I have two to tinker with, haven't been under the hood. Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention a 5302, also.

My next plan was, oddly enough,,  a 354, and a D mount / 202.

No wonder you could race the cars! :D Me, I'm done until payday, so I'll play with the ones I have, find parts, etc.

T-bone appetite, and ramen noodle budget.

I did locate my digital camera, packed away from moving, so at least I will be able to document them, and post pictures; maybe I'll find something cool inside. Already found a '45 military capsule in my metal 302's F1W handset. Maybe it has a story inside the case, they all seem to...

Best regards, and happy collecting!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

George Knighton

Quote from: Mr. Bones on January 09, 2013, 12:00:58 AM
Largely due to you, (or it could be my own telephonemania,) I've purchased some 302's in the last month.

Oh, my goodness.  Don't go blaming me!

QuoteI love the 302's, always have, but I must admit that I find my AE40 nicer-looking.

I dunno.  Mixed feelings.  The parts of the USA that I visited as a child only seemed to have Western Electric, so that's what I've gone for.

I admit there's an AE that I'm watching right now, but I've a feeling the experts here will have already seen it and are waiting to pounce on it as the auction nears its end.

QuoteOh, yeah, I forgot to mention a 5302, also.

How do you like the 5302?  I like mine a lot, but I admit it's not as pretty as a 500.

QuoteMy next plan was, oddly enough,,  a 354, and a D mount / 202.

0.o

Next for me, I think, is probably the Panasonic PBX everybody keeps hinting I really want but just don't know it yet.

:-)
Annoying new poster.

AE_Collector

Quote from: George Knighton on January 09, 2013, 06:30:55 PM
I admit there's an AE that I'm watching right now, but I've a feeling the experts here will have already seen it and are waiting to pounce on it as the auction nears its end.

Many of the AE people already have pretty much everything they want except for real unusual stuff so don't "not bid" and then wish that you had! I plan on putting a bunch of AE 40, 43, 47, 50, 80, 83, 86, 87, 90, 182, 183, 192, 980's on the CRPF classifieds before too much longer. I have been sorting through things and realise that I have to "let some go"!

Terry

Russ Kirk

Well,  I would be interested in an AE 47 or any colored wall phone.    Coming from a a Western Electric area,  I find the AE phones new and fascinating.   Most people that see my collection never have seen the AE phones.

Russ
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

George Knighton

Playing with the Xlink and the $25.00 Panasonic 616.

It worked just fine.  Once I remembered I had to dial a "9" for an "outside" line.

Annoying new poster.

twocvbloke

I can't recall if I'm thinking of my Nortel system or my Panasonic system, but I think one of them you can program to dial directly out without the 9, so long as the number didn't begin with a feature code number... ???

Still, your Xlink in the picture is on 81 so you can select it or one of the others as mentioned in the other thread on the 8x codes... :D

DavePEI

Quote from: George Knighton on January 14, 2013, 09:26:59 PM
It worked just fine.  Once I remembered I had to dial a "9" for an "outside" line.
Best $25 you ever spent, isn't it! You will have a lot of fun with it. You can do all sorts of things with it. I even have restrictions set up for the two payphones I have running on it to prevent long distance dialling - don't even ask how I did it - it was so long ago when I did it! All I remember, is I finally figured it out, and it works great!

One note: Don't leave it sitting for too long like you have it - the power supply needs to breath, and it should be mounted vertically for proper ventillation.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

George Knighton

Quote from: DavePEI on January 15, 2013, 05:22:16 AM
Quote from: George Knighton on January 14, 2013, 09:26:59 PM
Best $25 you ever spent, isn't it! You will have a lot of fun with it. You can do all sorts of things with it. I even have restrictions set up for the two payphones I have running on it to prevent long distance dialling - don't even ask how I did it - it was so long ago when I did it! All I remember, is I finally figured it out, and it works great!

One note: Don't leave it sitting for too long like you have it - the power supply needs to breath, and it should be mounted vertically for proper ventillation.

Dave

Thank you very much.  It's switched off now.  I was just testing the XLink and making sure a $25.00 PBX would actually work.
Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Just had to have one of these around.  Always thought they were an interesting, odd looking permutation of the 300 innards.

Works okay.  Dial is slow and probably just needs some good cleaning.  Handset coil needs some kind of replacement.

I'll probably just remove the main connection and mount it on a wall, unconnected, after some cleaning and polishing.

The Princess thing (701 and 702) is out of hand.  Not sure why I think these are so neat.  Just picked up another Ivory 701 with the weight still in it and a transformer that actually works.

Also got an Avocado 702 with a transformer that works.  The Avocado looks like a resold phone that was originally produced by Old Phone Works.  So it works great.

Annoying new poster.