News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mr Bones' telephones

Started by Mr. Bones, January 20, 2013, 10:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESalter

I'm glad I could help Terrence!  I've sold probably close to 75 1D2s over the past year and a half, yours is only the second of those that has the Bell logo on the faceplate.  I've been trying to keep (read as HOARD) all of those as I get them and just sell the logoless ones.  However, I'm more than happy to share "good" phones with those who I know will appreciate them.

Also, you think it's fun just seeing the pictures, wait until you start playing with it!  Fifty bucks says within a couple months you're going to start trying to make a coin controller for it so it will actually collect money :)

Lastly, I hope you can find that starter 3 slot!  Actually, I hope you can find two, I need one as well!  We have a couple hundred single slots, but not a single 3 slot yet.

---Eric

Mr. Bones

Binner SC 2500-type:

Found this phone holding down the bottom of a trash can I walked by; all on its lonesome.

First S/(C) 2500 type I've ever seen, although I'm sure there were gazillions of them, in the appropriate geographical region(s).

It appears to be a 1977 model, based upon my understanding of the base stamp.

Works flawlessly, inbound, outbound, and ring.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Always a sucker for the underdogs...

I added another NE 302 to my collection for $4.00, BIN,+ shipping. Nobody ever seems to want these...

This one has an interesting dial card, as well as advertising card on it... base looks like somebody had at some rivets with a grinder.

Guess I wouldn't have went out on a limb, had it been exorbitant, like, $5.00, or so... ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Nick in Manitou

Yeah, I would hesitate for $5...but for $4, how could you pass it up?

I got to start watching the BINs more closely!

Nick

Fabius

Quote from: Mr. Bones on November 11, 2014, 07:46:29 PM
Always a sucker for the underdogs...

I added another NE 302 to my collection for $4.00, BIN,+ shipping. Nobody ever seems to want these...

This one has an interesting dial card, as well as advertising card on it... base looks like somebody had at some rivets with a grinder.

Best regards!

Scottsbluff was served by Lincoln T&T I believe. That would explain the use of a NE 302?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Mr. Bones

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on November 11, 2014, 08:10:46 PM
Yeah, I would hesitate for $5...but for $4, how could you pass it up?
I got to start watching the BINs more closely!
Nick
Nick,

That's why I always lovingly refer to my collection as the 'KHUT', or Kansas Home for Unloved / Unwanted Telephones! :D I hate to see the lil' darlin's go to a bad end....

Best regards, my Friend!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Quote from: Fabius on November 11, 2014, 08:20:13 PM
Scottsbluff was served by Lincoln T&T I believe. That would explain the use of a NE 302?

Thanks, Tom!

I was hoping for some historical background on this phone number, and this area's telephony history, since I live just neighboring them.

Anybody know what the ME stood for? It was MEdford, where  I growed up...,

That was later, after we quit placing local calls through the operator...post magneto, I calls it ;)

I always appreciate your assistance, and many thanks, once again!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

baldopeacock

Well, NE is the abbreviation for Nebraska.  guess so.

Fabius

Quote from: baldopeacock on November 12, 2014, 07:54:12 AM

NE 302 (Northern Electric)
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Mr. Bones

Thanks to a recent Classified Ad from Fabius:

I now have my first multi-line WE500 type: a 5/64 510 E/F!

Very cool, and just love those G1 handsets; feels like a real phone should, not a later, cheap copy! 8) (The G3's have never felt right to me, in use...) Guess it's what ya grew up with, eh? ;)

Thanks, Tom, and my best regards to all!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

unbeldi

Quote from: Fabius on November 12, 2014, 01:22:18 PM
Quote from: baldopeacock on November 12, 2014, 07:54:12 AM

NE 302 (Northern Electric)

Scottsbluff would have been far outside the LT&T territory which only extended to about the division line between area codes 402 and 308 in the eastern part of the state.   Scottsbluff is by the border to Colorado.

I looked at this phone a few times when it was on eBay and thought it might make an interesting artifact from that region. I have to look again at the details to see what distracted me and part of that was the handset maker, but there was more, IIRC.

PS: oh I see what else distracted me:  It appears the ringer has been exchanged.  The rivets on the bottom were removed with a grinder or something, and new rivets were installed.   So, the question is what kind of ringer is in there?  Did someone install an independent's frequency ringer or what is the rest of the story?

Mr. Bones

Quote from: unbeldi on November 16, 2014, 12:43:09 PM

Scottsbluff would have been far outside the LT&T territory which only extended to about the division line between area codes 402 and 308 in the eastern part of the state.   Scottsbluff is by the border to Colorado.
Thanks, good to know. I rather wondered about that, given the considerable distance from Lincoln. I would like to know more about the historical provider(s) for the Scottsbluff area, if anybody is familiar with the telephony history of that area.
I looked at this phone a few times when it was on eBay and thought it might make an interesting artifact from that region. I have to look again at the details to see what distracted me and part of that was the handset maker, but there was more, IIRC.
Despite my attempts with PSP to edit the handset photo, it remains pretty fairly indecipherable. Using >Histogram>Equalize, it 'appears' to say "Northern Electric", but very hard to say, with certainty... guess I'll have to wait until Tuesday, and see for myself.

PS: oh I see what else distracted me:  It appears the ringer has been exchanged.  The rivets on the bottom were removed with a grinder or something, and new rivets were installed.   So, the question is what kind of ringer is in there?  Did someone install an independent's frequency ringer or what is the rest of the story?
Duly noted in my initial post. I will give you the rest of the story when I receive the phone. Still, hard to go wrong, for $4.00...Thanks for your input, and best regards to you, and yours!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on November 16, 2014, 03:13:38 PM
Scottsbluff, NE (ME-2 or 632):
308 632 SCOTTSBLUFF NE 69361 SCOTTS BLUFF UNITED TEL CO OF THE WEST - NE DBA CENTURYLINK-NE
http://www.area-codes.com/search.asp?frmNPA=&frmNXX=&frmCity=scottsbluff&frmState=ne&frmZip=&frmCounty=&frmCompany=&search.x=0&search.y=0

# card is 436, not 632:

Searching for "436" NXX in Nebraska, closest to Scottsbluff is Gering, NE:
http://www.area-codes.com/search.asp?frmNPA=&frmNXX=436&frmCity=&frmState=ne&frmZip=&frmCounty=&frmCompany=&search.x=42&search.y=9

Googlemaps shows distance between Gering and Scottsbluff is 3.1 miles:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Scottsbluff,+NE/Gering,+NE/@41.846556,-103.7023759,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x87654bdf09844ba7:0xf5fd731d3050c407!2m2!1d-103.6671662!2d41.8666341!1m5!1m1!1s0x876551406fad5d21:0x55a34acf741ac3c2!2m2!1d-103.6577616!2d41.8263619

So the phone appears to have been within the exchange boundaries of Gering, NE.

I remember doing the same research when I saw the phone.  I forgot about that.  Nice to see this piece again.

In 1940, the fire and police numbers were 703 and 715.  But it was a manual system still in 1940.
I didn't find the conversion year.
The address of the Hauke drugstore was different, it was at 1513 Broadway, telephone number 60, and 1720 Broadway was occupied by "Sweetbrair Shop" and the number was 88-J.

I have found some nice pieces in Nebraska, always barn fresh, directly from the farm, so to speak.

unbeldi

Here are the Scottsbluff and Gering 1940 telephone directories.