News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mr Bones' telephones

Started by Mr. Bones, January 20, 2013, 10:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Quote from: Mr. Bones on January 21, 2013, 05:02:34 PMWow, twocv! Looks like you chaps are getting 'cheesed'! I'm glad you got your sat dish sorted out before this! Stay warm and safe!

Best regards!

Terrence

I had to sort the dish out again this afternoon as it got a walloping when a snow avalanched off the roof and assaulted my poor dish, had to nudge it with my high precision satellite dish adjustment tool (also known as a sweeping brush!!), though I almost got the avalanche on myself too as I was about to step outside just before the biggest one happened, which wouldn't have been much fun... :D

Anyway, the mention of Jim Carrey has reminded me that I've not watched Dumb & Dumber in a long time, given the "winter lock-in", I may have to source that online and watch it, cos it's funny... ;D

Mr. Bones

15> Grainy low-light picture of my 6/99 Cortelco 250000-MBA-20M, tucked neatly in behind my Saitek X-45 's Throttle Quadrant.

Better pics of all to come, can't find the interface cable for my digital camera to load pics to my computer, so far... ??? So using the RAZR V3xx...

16> My no-cost DTMF dialer, also doubles as a handy 900mHz cordless telephone ;)

17> Another over-engineered DTMF dialer, but free, so OK in my book. ;) This one's the base station.

18> The remote stations for the above system.
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

I got my '62 White 554 hung on the wall today, in a location that hides the unfortunate shipping damage to the upper and lower RH corners for the moment.

I just wanted to get it up out of harm's way, and test it. Dialed, talked, and received fine. The ol' 'move the black wire from G terminal to L1 with the green' enabled the ringer for which I thank many here on the forum! ;D

At least it is in use now, awaiting some pre-modular parts to return it to original configuration.

IV/'61 ringer, 1/'62 dial, '66 case. '74 refurb stickers over the original date stamp. 01/25/'84 ATT sales sticker on the now-removed wall-jack adapter back. 554 BMP 2/78 sticker on there, as well. This phone seems to be well-travelled, but it is in nice condition... 8)

Best regards!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

twocvbloke

Hmm, are you sure you'll be able to find that white 554 on that white wall? :D

Bit like my red cortelco 2554 on the red kitchen wall, it's well camouflaged... :D

Mr. Bones

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 23, 2013, 04:45:50 AM
Hmm, are you sure you'll be able to find that white 554 on that white wall? :D

Bit like my red cortelco 2554 on the red kitchen wall, it's well camouflaged... :D

twocvbloke,

Maybe we should switch handsets, or summat'? \ ;D

Cheers!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

19> My 08/53 Black WE 500 C/D. Got it in November, but missed it while digging through the HDD for pics of my phones.

It arrived with an AE handset, which I like the looks of very much, due to the previously mentioned (by me), mild 'sagittal crest'... it lacks the mass of the early G-1s, but maybe because it is well later manufacture?

Were the early AE G-type handsets comparable in weight to the early 50's WE's?

I haven't had the caps off for some time, will learn more as we go along. It stays for now.... it looks fine to me, sort of a transition between F-1 and G-1...

Best regards!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

AE_Collector

Yes the early AE type 81 handsets were solid bakelite like the early "G" handsets were. Then AE changed to hollow plastic and renamed them type 810 handsets. You probably have a plastic AE 810 there.

Terry

Mr. Bones

Thanks, Terry!

You are just the person I hoped would respond, with your extensive AE background.

I'll bet you are right re: plastic 810, because this handset feels much more like the hollow, later, hardwired, and modular ones from WE. Quite a bit lighter / less substantial feeling than the G-1's on my 50's 60's 500's / 554's. Looks darn cool, though, and doesn't hurt a thing.... ;)

I guess I'll have to try and hunt down an earlier, bakelite 81 to make it feel right. ;)

Many thanks for your assistance, and knowledge-base, once again!

Best regards,

Terrence

I
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Upon opening it tonight, I discovered that my " '45" 302 was actually a 2/'42, and corrected my earlier listing in this post.

The only date I had seen previous to this was the '45 receiver element...

This would be a very late metal 302, from what Doug posted earlier this evening, on his new thermoplastic 302.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8632.msg92688#new

Both ringer and network dated 2/42, no discernible case date, so far...I'll try more tomorrow, with brighter light.

It has a F1W handset, a 6/45 MRP (MFP)? receiver, and a F1 transmitter, no discernible date marking.

?302AW? Hmmm...

Paul's site indicates A - manual, W - no Bell System markings...

Here's a few pics, albeit low-res:

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

>20

My 02/59 Kellogg / ITT 500, just won on epay, $9.50. :)

First metal-dial Kellogg 500 I've seen, but I'm a newbie lol! :D

I'm guessing that the switch hook buttons should be the same as a WE?  clear, for this vintage? Are they interchangeable, so I can locate some?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

Don't know about Kellogg. WE used clear plungers on all color 500s but only from about 1964 on the black 500s.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

twocvbloke

Just add some scrolling red lights up the front and you have a KITT phone... :D

Mr. Bones

These just arrived today:

21> 4/60 Pink WE 500

22> 6/67 White WE 554

The lighting and Razr pic don't come anwhere near doing the Pink 500 justice; it is a bright, vivid pink, very glossy, and very clean. Thanks, Vern!

The White '67 554 is gonna need some lovin', but is in great condition.

Best regards,

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Today's addition to the collection:

I believe it to be a 6/62 Stromberg-Carlson 1543WIK.

If anybody can tell me different from the pictures, your input, of course, would be very much appreciated, and I thank you in advance. ;)

This was another $10.00 epay purchase, that nobody else seemed to want. I've always admired the lines of this model, so I couldn't very well resist. :D

The company has quite the interesting historical background, as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stromberg-Carlson

It should be here Thursday, or Friday, hopefully intact!

Best regards,

Terrence

P.S.: The 1543 arrived way quicker than projected, and is 100% plug 'n' play, rings, dials, transmits, and receives perfectly! Yay! ;D
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Added an SC 1243 to the collection, $15.95. We'll see how it works this week, when it gets here.
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus