News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mr Bones' telephones

Started by Mr. Bones, January 20, 2013, 10:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

With luck, you came home richer, wiser, and content!

Best regards!

[/quote]
After a phone show, the only guy that is richer is the one who brought his wife ( you catch my Drift).

As far as wiser, when I have taken my wife it is amazed at the "brain Trust" on hand. She attends about 1 to my 6 and always mentions the knowledge that flows, you learn lots without even trying.

As far as content, now I want to go to Texas in May. My hiatus may be over?
Regards,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

Quote from: Mr. Bones on April 20, 2013, 05:32:59 PM
Yay! ;D

I have a D1 base, I 33, on the way here! A guy's gotta start somewhere, right? Here's the auction pics:

You don't see many made in 1933. Must have been a slow year for manufacturing because of the Great Depression. (The US government made it worse by restricting the money supply.)

In the 60s or 70s, Telephony Magazine interviewed a member of the family that had owned a small rural phone company. She said that during the Great Depression, all the subscribers had requested that their phones be disconnected because they couldn't afford service. Only her family members still had phones.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

I notice a P# cast inside, Is that typical or  is a P# like an F # ?
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

Quote from: Mr. Bones on April 21, 2013, 12:08:34 AM
Quote from: Jim S. on April 20, 2013, 11:20:59 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bones on April 20, 2013, 05:32:59 PM
Yay! ;D

I have a D1 base, I 33, on the way here! A guy's gotta start somewhere, right? Here's the auction pics:

I really need to rub it in about you missing your Neighborhood phone shows.
John Andrews (CO) had 3 of these on his table for $5.00 each. John Huckeby  (ID) got them on Saturday. I doubt if the went for 3@ $15.

I was tempted  @ $5.00 each but not enough to own them.
They were available for both days.

Just saying...
Jim

Jim,

Thanks! I do deserve the rub, and appreciate it, though, next time, I would enjoy it more thoroughly, if you would use some salt, during the process! :D  (If I ask, 'Pretty Please', will you also use some habañeros, so that I can fully maximize the experience!) ;D

I paid $18.99 for the D1 base I have coming, and am very excited to have it. Three for $5.00 apiece would have been even more of a treasure, no doubt!

The fuel logistics for the roughly 250-mile round trip were only $80.00-$100.00... the logistics for having a 30-yr old failed 6000+ lb. truck towed home to Larryville ,@$5-$10 / loaded mile, were what made me decide not to make the trip.

With luck, I can make other arrangements for the next year! Glad to hear that you got there, and back, safely! I hope that you made some extreme deals, both buying, and selling.

With luck, you came home richer, wiser, and content!

Best regards!

I try to make it to all the shows that are 500 miles or less. For me, that includes the Maitland, Florida show in January and the Cincinnati show Labor Day Weekend. More often than not, I have a vehicle that may or may not make it there and back. So I rent a car from Friday morning to Sunday morning. They are often half-price on weekends with unlimited mileage. If the car has problems, they will give you another one. What you save on gas may cover the cost of renting. Just a thought.

Mr. Bones

Thanks to the trickle-down theory, and the kindness of fellow forum member wds, I now have a C/S desk set project to play with! 8)

I can hardly wait until it gets here! Woo-Hoo! Extremely helpful for re-living my childhood! ;D (Yes, we still had desk sets, magnetos, and an Operator!) ;)

"Hello, Operator? Give me MEdford 7, 3-7-5...ohhhh...., is that you Myrt? How's every little thing, Myrt?" :D

Best regards!

P.S.: Please note that this is, undoubtedly, the closest that any Novus 2 has ever come to any of the phones in my collection! :D

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

It has been a *amn good week here, telephone-wise:

Both my 151AL, and my I/33 D1 body arrived here, intact! ;D

Both need love, parts, and attention, but are starting places. I had an 82A blank, and a F1 handset that were 'currently in-between assignments', so I 'dolled up' the D1 base a bit for the shots.

It is in incredible shape, with a smooth, unmarred, glossy finish! I have no idea, whatsoever, why somebody would have parted this D1 out, in fact, I rather doubt they did. It is nearly NOS, at least 'minty'. :D

It would certainly be interesting to know this D1's provenance...

Best regards!

Terrence

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

Bridgeportcollector often parts phones out rather than selling complete phones. He may be on to something: the unnotched number plates, 4H dials, hand generators and other parts often sell on Ebay for more than a complete phone containing one of those parts.

Mr. Bones

Quote from: poplar1 on April 26, 2013, 08:28:57 PM
Bridgeportcollector often parts phones out rather than selling complete phones. He may be on to something: the unnotched number plates, 4H dials, hand generators and other parts often sell on Ebay for more than a complete phone containing one of those parts.

David, thanks for the 411!

Maybe I can complete some of my projects through him, then. I seem to have little to zero luck procuring parts, elsewhere than ePay.

Best regards!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

In addition to the previously posted D1 and 151AL, this week has been filled with some other phones; they have yet to arrive, but I maintain a certain degree of hope. ;)

First, for your consideration, is a brace of AE-50's, one dial, one extension, replete with Extensicord! 8)
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Also in the pipeline, is a manual 302-type. One can never have too many of these! ;D It also, inexplicably, has a ringer box included. Mayhaps, I shall have to replace / re-wire the ringer inside.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it has a JOliet(x)-5411, Ext. 49 dial card. The (x) is unreadable through the celluloid/plastic cover, looks like moisture damage(?) Any history out there, Chicago folks? ;)

Best regards, have a great weekend!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WesternElectricBen

Hello!

I have always wanted a manual 302 for some reason I think they look even cooler with out the dial. I am really confused why someone would put a ringer box on it instead of repairing it/replacing it?

I do have a 1954 manual 500 though the cloth  cords (vinal coverings) are so decrepit that it wont work with them..

Ben

twocvbloke

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on April 27, 2013, 04:21:08 PMI am really confused why someone would put a ringer box on it instead of repairing it/replacing it?

Presumably because of the lack of ability or knowledge to move a wire over inside the phone to enable the ringer for bridged(?) ringing... :)

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 27, 2013, 05:52:31 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on April 27, 2013, 04:21:08 PMI am really confused why someone would put a ringer box on it instead of repairing it/replacing it?

Presumably because of the lack of ability or knowledge to move a wire over inside the phone to enable the ringer for bridged(?) ringing... :)

Well...

zaphod01

Love the dial blanks! Just bought two NOS dial blank kits for 302's still in the wrapper. Can't wait to get one installed. I'll probably sell the other kit.

Just finished a '53 model 500 dial blank phone this morning. eBay seller neglected to mention the '53 had been in a flood. Dialer was ruined so I moved F to RR and installed a 95B dial blank.

Wish I'd had a 95A but they are rare. I have one on a '52 model 500 and it's one of my favorites.

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Mr. Bones

I am really confused why someone would put a ringer box on it instead of repairing it/replacing it?

I won't know, for certain, until it arrives...it could be something so simple, or, perhaps it was originally equipped with a frequency ringer? Time will tell, but, either way, it at least comes with a back-up plan ;)
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus