and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mr Bones' telephones

Started by Mr. Bones, January 20, 2013, 10:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on April 27, 2013, 04:21:08 PM
Hello!

I have always wanted a manual 302 for some reason I think they look even cooler with out the dial. I am really confused why someone would put a ringer box on it instead of repairing it/replacing it?

I do have a 1954 manual 500 though the cloth  cords (vinal coverings) are so decrepit that it wont work with them..

Ben

Ben, I have to agree with you; the blanked 302's seem, to me, at least, to just show off / accentuate the already beautiful, elegant lines of the phones!

I'd love to see your '54! If you haven't posted pics of it here on the forum, please, either PM me with a pic, or post it right here! I still need to add a blanked 500 to my collection...hopefully, I might be lucky enough to find one as old, and desirable as yours!

Thanks for stopping by, and appreciating, my collection!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Quote from: zaphod01 on April 27, 2013, 06:24:23 PM
Love the dial blanks! Just bought two NOS dial blank kits for 302's still in the wrapper. Can't wait to get one installed. I'll probably sell the other kit.

Just finished a '53 model 500 dial blank phone this morning. eBay seller neglected to mention the '53 had been in a flood. Dialer was ruined so I moved F to RR and installed a 95B dial blank.

Wish I'd had a 95A but they are rare. I have one on a '52 model 500 and it's one of my favorites.

Thanks for the compliments! I love your two 500's, as well! If you do decide to sell the other NOS 302 blank, please (!!) give me first dibs! I can always use another one!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

One of my neighbours came a' knocking yesterday eve, and wanted me to come hang out, and jam on some Blues for a spell. I am pretty competent at both of the above, so I meandered over there, armed with my '28 National Duolian, the original prototype Copperhead slide, thumb / fingerpicks, and, of course, a fresh Guinness bopper ;).(Natch!) ;D

We had a most pleasant time, to be sure, but when I went to leave, he insisted that I had forgotten something. ???

I had, previously, shown him a few of my telephones, those on presentation in the living room. Somehow, he decided that I must need another telephone, so he bestowed one upon me.

In the picture below, it is the 'payphone' on the right of the table. Sorry the whole thing is in Bones-O-Vision. Perhaps, I'll repent, and later post the original colour pic. Nah, probably not! ;)

Well, it is a case of the thought that counts, after all...(Thank you, Michael!)

Best regards!

P.S: Anybody have a modular-to-modular, armoured cable that they'd part with? I rather suppose I shall just have to fabricate one. ;)
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

AE_Collector

Quote from: Mr. Bones on April 27, 2013, 02:06:24 PM
a brace of AE-50's, one dial, one extension, replete with Extensicord! 8)

Glad to see that you are providing good homes to some orphan AE's Terrence! The ExtensiCOrd looks like new!

Terry

Mr. Bones

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 27, 2013, 09:00:54 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bones on April 27, 2013, 02:06:24 PM
a brace of AE-50's, one dial, one extension, replete with Extensicord! 8)

Glad to see tha tyou are providing good homes to some orphan AE's Terrence! The ExtensiCOrd looks like new!

Terry

Terry, I couldn't pass up the deal, though I hardly need two! I just hope that the seller wraps them up securely; I would just weep if they arrived in pieces. They are in such nice shape!! WooHoo!!! ;D ;D ;D

I have been jonesin' for an AE50 for such a long time! Now my AE40 will have some company. Gotta find a 34, now, I reckon! ;)

To each, his own, but I personally think that the AE's, and the SC's have positively exquisite lines, and are Art Deco personified!

For the record, all orphan AE's will be provided with a good home, as long as I am still alive!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

zaphod01

Mr. Bones,

I think I managed to send you a message about the spare 82A kit. Let me know if you don't get it.

Robert

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

zaphod01

Mr. Bones,

You are welcome to my extra unopened 82-A-3 dial blank kit for WE 302 for $15.00 including shipping. Sold to me as NOS and appears to be as described.

Includes dial blank, mounting screws, dial card holder with metal backing plate and keeper. No actual dial card.

Unopened and dated JUL 23 1955.

Robert
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

poplar1

I believe these are C stock and not new. (1) The green tape "tel. co. property" (2) The black overspray
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Mr. Bones

Would any of you please be so kind as to give me the correct model # / nomenclature, for this 1978 WE ringer box? I've seen them before, but drawing a blank in search mode.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

E1A or E1C (both hardwired) and E1CM (with 2 modular jacks) are the most common. E1Cs were installed with 701B Princess phones, also with 2-line phones.

E1B and E1D have an extra set of contacts needed for the 2A Farm Interphone.

Mr. Bones

Quote from: poplar1 on May 13, 2013, 11:12:00 PM
E1A or E1C (both hardwired) and E1CM (with 2 modular jacks) are the most common. E1Cs were installed with 701B Princess phones, also with 2-line phones.

E1B and E1D have an extra set of contacts needed for the 2A Farm Interphone.

Thanks, David!

Mine would appear, externally, to be the E1CM, as it is mod-to-mod. I appreciate the info; good to know what, exactly, I have, where it's from, what it's for, etc. Variants make it even easier to put into context.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Good Morning, all!

Towards the tail-end of May, I won an auction for a NE 302, which I previously had zero examples of. $19.99, nobody else even bothered to bid. Sweet! 8)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200925384495

After it arrived, I placed it in a place of prominence for display, on my bedroom dresser.

A few nights ago, I was trying to tie some loose ends together / get caught up on things here at home. I googled the dial card number, and was pleasantly surprised by what I found.

It looks like this particular Northern Electric might well have had a very colourful history. How, in the world, it ended up in Fort Lauderdale, FL, remains a mystery. ???

Related links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_code_513

1st paragraph covers the timeline; ..."one of the original Area Codes established in 1947..."

A google of the number led me here: http://www.whitepages.com/business/golden-lamb-inn-lebanon-oh

Which, of course, led me here: http://www.goldenlamb.com/

The possibility, certainly, exists that there might, well, have been some interesting, possibly historical conversations conducted upon this instrument.

I am going to try to find out where 'Extension 29' would have been located...

Wish me luck, and stay tuned; If anything interesting develops, I'll post it here... ;)

Best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

http://puck.nether.net/npa-nxx/

This is a good site for looking up info by first few numbers---NPA is the area code and NXX is the central office code. It also gives the name of the telephone company---in this case, United Telephone Co. That explains why this is a NE phone instead of a WE with Bell System markings. Still, it is surprising that in a city as old as Lebanon, that they have an independent phoneco instead of Cincinnati Bell.

Output for NPA-NXX 513 932
State = Ohio

NPA NXX CLLI City, ST Telco
513 932 LBNNOHXA93E LEBANON UNITED TELEPHONE CO. OF OHIO

The only problem is that if the area code has split, then this works only for the current assignment. In other words, the area code on a number card may no longer be the actual one for that location. This will require a little more digging.
However, in the case of 513 932, Cincinnati and Lebanon kept the original area code and other areas split off.

Mr. Bones

Quote from: poplar1 on June 08, 2013, 01:12:54 PM
http://puck.nether.net/npa-nxx/
Thanks for the site, David! I will bookmark it for future use, as a reference tool!
Still, it is surprising that in a city as old as Lebanon, that they have an independent phoneco instead of Cincinnati Bell.

Wikipedia lists Lebanon, OH, as 20,000-ish, last Census. Perhaps they were not big enough to attract Bell's infrastructure investment, during that era? Just idle speculation...
The only problem is that if the area code has split, then this works only for the current assignment. In other words, the area code on a number card may no longer be the actual one for that location. This will require a little more digging.
However, in the case of 513 932, Cincinnati and Lebanon kept the original area code and other areas split off.

Affirm, I concur, wholeheartedly... first thing to cross my mind, after looking up the number. That's why I was looking up the history of the 513 area code; I have found them to be 'migratory', over the years, similar to coconuts. ;)

Seems to be, that it has remained the same for Lebanon, and I have my sincere doubts that a hotel established in 1803 would be big on changing a long-established telephone number. Still, as you said, more digging will confirm this, yay, or nay.

Therefore, however circumstantially, it would presently appear likely that the NE 302 once resided there...provided somebody didn't swap the number card. The entire phone appears very undisturbed... forensically, I cannot see any sign of disturbance or intrusion in the 'patina' that somebody might have done so, upon the closest, most-magnified examination methods at my disposal.

</2¢ worth> :D

Thanks again, David! Have a Great weekend, Sir!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

A pair of G-mounts, 211-types, bought in a lot, with some 'parts' 302's...roughly $14.00 apiece for these two... :)
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus