News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

F M Anderson wood receiver

Started by wds, December 28, 2013, 11:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Picked this wood receiver off of Ebay.  Seems authentic and has "1886" engraved in the wood in a couple different places.  Does anyone know anything about this receiver or the maker?  I'm curious how this receiver comes apart - don't want to dissect it until I know what I'm doing.  What is the brass screw in the handle for?  Can't tell if the diaphragm is original - there a a couple holes on either side of the coil and I wonder if there was something else there instead of the current diaphragm?  The coil is loose, and I pulled it out to take the picture.  Any help is appreciated. 
Dave

TelePlay

How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind telling?

wds

$115.  I forgot to mention that it does work, although the volume is a little low.
Dave

Contempra

I found another like yours on E-bay now sold at $113

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Telephone-wooden-receiver-1886-/321276570205

wds

Dave

Kenton K

What telephones did the wood receivers go on? I've never seen a telephone with one.

Ken

Sargeguy

Many early receivers were made out of wood, before switching to hard rubber.  This "butter stamp" receiver looks more like a demo by F.M. Anderson to show that he was capable of making a receiver rather than an actual production item.  Perhaps he made it during training and kept it as a souvenir adding his name and the date he made it on it for posterity.  This would make sense if he worked for Chicago Telephone as the seller suggests.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kenton K

That makes sense. Wood receivers it seems would  probably been too expensive and/or fragile.

good to know-Ken