News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Central Checking

Started by poplar1, September 03, 2014, 12:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Some wood wall phones were equipped with a pushbutton. Pushing the button while turning the crank connected one side of the generator to Ground and L2. Otherwise, the generator was connected to L1 and L2. When the generator was grounded, this allowed the caller to signal the operator without ringing the other subscribers on the party line. These phones were sometimes described as "Central Checking." This was common practice on Northern Electric phones, but not so much on Western Electric models.

Here is a Western Electric 1317 equipped with push button, stamped  SP 317 BA:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361034993329

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

I have heard it referred to as "Silent Signalling".  I have a TYPE 44 top box equipped with a switch hook that does this automatically when the receiver is lifted and a N.E.T&T 2-boxer that has the button.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dsk

In Norway on sidetone sets, it was common to have a button who had 2 functions. 
In on hook position; it would silence the ringer when cranking. (shortening ringers in series, or disconnect ringers in shunt.)  or
In off hook position; shorting the secondary af the induction coil, then the receiver became the only load between ring and tip, and your own transmitter would not disturb. (Nice on long bad lines, when listening only)

dsk

davedolli

See my post, Help identifying my new oak wall phone, on the first page now. My phone is set up with silent signaling.

Dave