News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

229 transmitter - bevel edge

Started by wds, August 17, 2015, 09:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Just bought this.  Looks like it should clean up nicely.  Will send to Dennis for some new nickel.
Dave

poplar1

Dave,

I think you have -- in one act of seeing the silver lining -- redeemed all those who have created Frankenphones: Who would have thought someone would have added a bevel edge *229* to this?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

Definitely a Frankenphone.  But it does have a couple good pieces on it.  I'm hoping the 229 hasn't been messed with.  I see a transmitter bridge holding the crank handle - hope that didn't come out of this 229.  Any thought on the dial?  #6?
Dave

wds

bad news. The transmitter has no guts - the bridge from this transmitter was used to hold up the crank handle.  To mount the bridge to the inside of the box, they drilled out the holes in the bridge.  The transmitter is pretty much a total loss. 
Dave

HarrySmith

How about installing the guts from another, easier to find transmitter?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

Already tried - the newer 229 nor any of the other WE bridges fit.  This is a one of a kind transmitter.  At this point the faceplate is a paper weight.  This was a good learning experience. 
Dave

unbeldi

Do you know whether this was the only kind of "beveled" edge face plate they made?

The 1892 patent shows a sharper step-type bevel, while this one appears just a little rounded. I am sure there were several or even many versions of the White transmitter between the patent date and the official designation of the 229 in 1895.  When after 1895 exactly did the bevel disappear?

I would think the part may still have considerable value as a replacement part, especially of you have it nicely renickeled. I assume they were all nickel plated at the time.

wds

Well, I would have considered keeping it for parts, but not a $150 part.  Too expensive for a paperweight.  The correct bridge is just a tiny bit narrower than the newer 229 and other bridges.  I suppose I could have filed down the bridge to fit, but then there's no guarantee that the screw holes would line up.  Then you have the problem with the diaphram and other parts.  Because the bridge is recessed into the faceplate, I assume the diaphram is also different, as well as the studded shaft that connects the diaphram to the bridge - it would have to be shorter.  Too many odd parts to ever try to make it work again.  The chances of ever finding another beveled edge transmitter that has a complete internal set of parts, but not a good faceplate I think are slim to none.  It's just a paperweight at this point. 
Dave

Doug Rose

Dave.......that is a tough break, as they are hard to find. I still think you could sell it cleaned up,  attached to the transmitter cup and a bakelite MP for the $150. ,,,,Doug
Kidphone