News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pony Receiver, Finally.

Started by Dan/Panther, November 10, 2015, 02:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I finally won a Pony receiver for my 1907 WE wall phone. They have typically gone in the $200.00 range, and I just can't justify that for a wall decoration, that I have no intentions of ever parting with. So last week I see this broken receiver on eBay for $49.95 open bid. I put in a maximum bid, and won it for $70.00. The cracks will be a simple repair, and a coat of semi gloss black should make it look good enough for my wall phone.
Maybe at some future point in time I might run across a good one, but for now my phone is original and complete.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Sargeguy

That is a nice one, with the ABT markings and the serial number on top.  I would recommend sanding it after you glue it back together, it will reduce the seam from the repair.  I do not recommend using a clear coat on gutta percha rubber.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan/Panther

I dissembled the receiver, and glued the pieces back together. I added superglue to the cracks on the surface. Filed and sanded them. The body looks like it was never cracked.
The wall phone I'm installing it in, is a functioning phone will all the original internal components still in place. I have replaced transmitter with a modern one, and installed a push button phone into the battery compartment. I did not alter the original components in any manner. Now I have one minor problem, I need a modern receiver element that I can fit into the pony receiver. So far the ones I've tried, will not allow the cap to be screwed back on. I don't want to alter the receiver in any way, who makes the lowest profile receiver ?

D/P

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 13, 2015, 02:00:31 PM
I dissembled the receiver, and glued the pieces back together. I added superglue to the cracks on the surface. Filed and sanded them. The body looks like it was never cracked.
The wall phone I'm installing it in, is a functioning phone will all the original internal components still in place. I have replaced transmitter with a modern one, and installed a push button phone into the battery compartment. I did not alter the original components in any manner. Now I have one minor problem, I need a modern receiver element that I can fit into the pony receiver. So far the ones I've tried, will not allow the cap to be screwed back on. I don't want to alter the receiver in any way, who makes the lowest profile receiver ?

D/P

Did you find one to fit? I am asking because I have a project, currently on the back burner, that I was looking for a better receiver to fit in it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Partyline4

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 13, 2015, 02:00:31 PM

D/P

Could we please see some photos of your restoration?

Sounds interesting.

Dan/Panther

First I got the restoration completed, and I had a hard time finding an element that would fit and still get the mouth piece cap on. BUT, I found one, It's a 69 Stromberg Carlson. It fits like it belongs in there. No rattles.
Here are a few photos after the restoration. It works spectacular.
I finished the inside late last night and haven't taken a photo yet. Will post later

D/P

Dan/Panther

It was really much worse than I first let on, because I wasn't sure I could even fix it. Here are more before photos.

D/P

Dan/Panther

I put the pieces back together with superglue, then filled the cracks with additional superglue. Filed it all down, sanded to 800 grit paper.
Then cleaned it is warm water with dish soap.
Finally sprayed the entire unit, apart of course with flat black paint, then a final coating of Semi-Gloss.
It has a slightly used look, but not too new looking. It matches the patina of the rest of the phone.
The only parts not completely original, I had to remove the two element coils to make room for the SC receiver element. The unit is intact so no permanent damage was done. Cracks are completely gone.

D/P

Mr. Bones

Beautiful job, D/P!

Thanks for the info / tutorial, very inspiring. I hope you are having a good Thanksgiving! :)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Dan/Panther

Yes Had a great Thanksgiving. Hope yours was as well.
D/P

Doug Rose

Dan....amazing job! You brought it back from the dead!....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Here's a couple more shots of the element installation. Stromberg Carlson 1969 receiver used, with water pipe insulation. I left out the tin diaphragm because I thought it may muffle sound a bit. It works great and is VERY loud and clear.
Paint finish is Matte Black, clear coated with Semi-Gloss clear. It gives it shine, but still looks old but not painted.
Everything inside is intact, I did have to remove the coils for room. I also left out the diaphragm.

D/P