"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. 293A

Started by slimjim, December 22, 2015, 09:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimjim

Hello Members,
I just purchased a 1st generation W.E. 293A Personal Wall Phone. I am planing to restore it. I am trying to find out what a restored value is before I put a lot of money in it. I should say before my wife kicks me out.  Could anyone enlighten me?
Thanks, Slimjimmcd
Jim McDermott
North Smithfield R.I.

NorthernElectric

I can't help you with the value, but doesn't your wife buy lots of stuff that you don't see much sense in?   ;D
Cliff

Phonesrfun

I did a restoration of a 293 a few years ago, and it hardly cost a thing to do the wood, and the receiver cord was cheap enough.  The biggest cost was having the metal parts re nickeled, but I had them done very reasonably by a fellow collector who participates here on this board.  Best bet is to check eBay auctions for the value, because that is really a subjective thing and depends on many variables.

Good luck with it and post some before and after pictures.

The 293A is a small, cute phone, but I am curious why you termed it as being a "personal" wall phone?

Here is a link to my post for that:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8362.msg90550#msg90550

Cheers
-Bill G

Sargeguy

I have a dozen or so and value depends upon a variety of factors.  Oak vs walnut, if it has stamps versus decals, and how early the hardware is.  The most sought after versions have stamped patent dates, OST receivers, and *229* transmitters.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

slimjim

Quote from: NorthernElectric on December 22, 2015, 10:24:03 PM
I can't help you with the value, but doesn't your wife buy lots of stuff that you don't see much sense in?   ;D
Yeah , That is true. But I dare no bring that up.
Jim McDermott
North Smithfield R.I.

slimjim

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 22, 2015, 11:42:56 PM
I did a restoration of a 293 a few years ago, and it hardly cost a thing to do the wood, and the receiver cord was cheap enough.  The biggest cost was having the metal parts re nickeled, but I had them done very reasonably by a fellow collector who participates here on this board.  Best bet is to check eBay auctions for the value, because that is really a subjective thing and depends on many variables.

Good luck with it and post some before and after pictures.

The 293A is a small, cute phone, but I am curious why you termed it as being a "personal" wall phone?

Here is a link to my post for that:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8362.msg90550#msg90550

Cheers
I referred as personal because it is not a railroad or hotel version. Looks to be a house phone.
Jim McDermott
North Smithfield R.I.

Jim Stettler

I call all the small wood CB telephones compact woods. "Real" compact wood phones typically have the bells on top. Homemade Compact woods typically use wood subsets and the bells are on the front.  I used to collect the compact woods and probably had at least 20 hanging on the wall at 1 time. The small size allows for a large grouping in a small space.
JMO,
Jim S.l
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

slimjim

Quote from: Sargeguy on December 23, 2015, 07:50:35 AM
I have a dozen or so and value depends upon a variety of factors.  Oak vs walnut, if it has stamps versus decals, and how early the hardware is.  The most sought after versions have stamped patent dates, OST receivers, and *229* transmitters.
It is oak  with stamped pat. #'s . The transmitter is missing. It does have the pony receiver. The receiver hook and the transmitter mount has a brass finish. All others I've seen are nickel. Don't know whats up with that.
Jim McDermott
North Smithfield R.I.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: slimjim on December 23, 2015, 12:33:06 PM
It is oak  with stamped pat. #'s . The transmitter is missing. It does have the pony receiver. The receiver hook and the transmitter mount has a brass finish. All others I've seen are nickel. Don't know whats up with that.

I have seen them with black trim as well. I think "proper" is black or nickel. I suspect yours was probably black that was stripped to brass. Just my guess.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

slimjim

Quote from: slimjim on December 23, 2015, 12:33:06 PM
I forgot it's also missing the bell coils. Got my work cut out for me.
Jim McDermott
North Smithfield R.I.

Doug Rose

Picture for the collectors (me) who cannot remember the numbers associated with the phones.

Slimjim....post a picture of the inside of your phone. I think I can come up with the parts you need....fatdoug
Kidphone

slimjim

Quote from: NorthernElectric on December 22, 2015, 10:24:03 PM
Yeah, I know how that goes. That stuff is okay though.
Jim McDermott
North Smithfield R.I.

slimjim

Attached are pics of the phone.
Jim McDermott
North Smithfield R.I.

slimjim

One other with the receiver.
Jim McDermott
North Smithfield R.I.

Sargeguy

Barn fresh!

This is an excellent start for a project.  It looks all original and has the older style switch hook.  If I were restoring this I would use

-A *229*(best) or *250* (accepable)transmitter with older (pre-star) mouthpiece.  A "w" marked transmitter would okay until you got the right one.
-2-piece cup and lug with ABT markings.  Any cup will do, but this is what it would have come with.
-Older 1000 (500/500) ringer
-Receiver cord, red/blue with spade tips on one end and pins on the other and cloth restraints.  Brown or green were also used later.

Also:
Citrus strip
Golden Shellac.  Dark shellac was also used but does not look as good.
Denatured alcohol
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409