News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40, 47 & 50 Base Code Observations (2017!)

Started by RotoTech99, January 03, 2017, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Unbeldi:

I checked and see what you mean in my copies of TA-57. My 4055 catalog is the 4055D. I am looking to see if I can spot the A dial code... I think its referred to in a catalog, but which I can't recall.

Being a "common" code, it ought to appear someplace; could it be from AE34 codes, and carried over to the Type 40?

I think we'll have to wait for AE Collector's and Jack Ryan to post their handbooks for a more definite answer, but I'm glad we're discussing the known and to be confirmed aspects for now.

RotoTech99

Dear Unbeldi:
In my TA-57 catalog, for the Type 83. using a 51 type dial The dial codes are: "A" for a 1 to 0 dial, "B" for a dial cover (dummy blank), and "C" for a number/letter plate.

I'm looking on my computer at my other catalogs to see what else turns up

unbeldi

I seriously doubt that such handbooks are going to provide any more answers as to set coding. They are made for installers, not sales.

Type 34 sets didn't use the same coding, and as far as other types is concerned it is speculation.  One observation however, seems to be that toward the end of the 1950, AE did unify feature codes across product lines, but by then the AE40 was just about to be discontinued.
The latest sets I have recorded are October 1958 for the 4123, and January 1959 for the 4111, both made in Northlake.
I think Terry mentioned in the past that the type 40 was still made for military applications into the 1960s.

RotoTech99

Dear Unbeldi:

After checking, I'll concur with you on this.

Possibly, AE Collector's and Jack's handbooks will tell us more.

One thought I had is that since a multiline set like the type 47 was multiline, its dials had different contact arrangements, couldn't the "M", "E" and "C" be used to differentiate between Type 40 and Type 47 dial options?

This is purely a educated guess on my part, but it would seem sensible.

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:
Thank you for being patient with my questions and commentary on the coding for the AE40; slowly I'm catching on to the systemfor how it should work.

I've got a list of AE40 codes I plan to research more once the handbooks post.

It looks like the handbook's might come in handy for my research as well.

Thank you,
RotoTech99

RotoTech99

Dear Jack Ryan:

I wanted to thank you for being patient with my questions and commentary on the AE40 handbooks.

Slowly, I think I'm getting the grasp of the coding and how it works; once the handbooks come out, I've also got some lists of AE40 codes I plan to research.

Thanks Again,
RotoTech99

AE_Collector

Quote from: RotoTech99 on January 07, 2017, 03:47:31 PM
I think we'll have to wait for AE Collector's and Jack Ryan to post their handbooks for a more definite answer, but I'm glad we're discussing the known and to be confirmed aspects for now.

Quote from: unbeldi on January 07, 2017, 04:15:48 PM
I seriously doubt that such handbooks are going to provide any more answers as to set coding. They are made for installers, not sales.

Agreed, the big revelation in these pocket guides is the 4 different 4 digit "L" numbers and their purpose. There isn't anything else there to help with this project. The sales manuals may reveal a little bit more with some studying but nothing is going to come easy. I think the comparison of coding on actual 40's (and likely 50's as well) and observation of how they are equipped will ultimately reveal the most.

While continuing this investigative work I think a side project is trying to narrow manufacture dates down of AE40 examples using the patent labels as Unbeldi discusses in this topic about an AE 34.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17387.0

For quite a few years I have been keeping an Excel list of AE base codes, observed features, codes found on various components, patent decal info etc. The list started out simple but the extent of the info in it just kept growing.

Terry

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

I'd still like to see the handbooks personally, which I think will give me plenty to work with to start, then advance as more is added.

Ive copied a couple of the  patents earlier; I'm not sure if I have the ones you mentioned, though.

The link to the related topic is interesting, I have to admit.

RotoTech99

I wouldn't say that beyond revealing the four L numbers and their purpose, that there's nothing else the handbooks could provide towards the topic; it might lead to something useful.

Maybe not right away, but in its own time, yes.

AE_Collector

Okay, here are a couple of screen shots from my Excel list of AE 40 Base Codes. I see now that one of the last things that I added to the list was the individual patent numbers columns and in the 40, 43 & 47 section I have only one single set listed with all of the patents. Quite a few of these phones are mine so I need to go back to add this info.

Prior to adding columns for each patent I was recording the number (quantity) of patents listed on the phones tag which in hind sight probably wasn't of a lot of value.

What is listed here is the various sets of codes that follow the L-4xxx number on the base which we can play with deciphering.

Terry

RotoTech99

Very good and informative, that should help along with the handbooks.

My particular AE40 was a local battery set that was rebuilt to a common battery configuration.

unbeldi

Quote from: RotoTech99 on January 08, 2017, 07:42:59 AM
My particular AE40 was a local battery set that was rebuilt to a common battery configuration.

Really?   What is the code number on the bottom ?
Which induction coil # did it use?
How do you know it was rebuilt ?

unbeldi

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 08, 2017, 01:21:53 AM
Okay, here are a couple of screen shots from my Excel list of AE 40 Base Codes. I see now that one of the last things that I added to the list was the individual patent numbers columns and in the 40, 43 & 47 section I have only one single set listed with all of the patents. Quite a few of these phones are mine so I need to go back to add this info.

Prior to adding columns for each patent I was recording the number (quantity) of patents listed on the phones tag which in hind sight probably wasn't of a lot of value.

What is listed here is the various sets of codes that follow the L-4xxx number on the base which we can play with deciphering.

Terry

You don't need to record all the patent numbers on each label, just record the form number in the lower left corner of the label,  typically:  D-xxxxxx-Axx

[PS:  sorry, I see you already did that...  they are listed.  I will compare with my list and ask you to only look up the ones I don't have.  I'll list those that I do have too.]

The listing shows that the coding format changed over time, especially going from the 40xx to the 41xx order numbers, this is also what I have observed.
The 40xx format is much closer to the 34A3 type of labeling.  They seem to have revamped that after the war.

AE_Collector

So let's talk about what I have called the second and third codes, the (usually) 3 letter/digit codes following the L4xxx code.

Keep in mind that there are bound to be codes on my list that aren't correct for various reasons. Sometimes the stamping on the bases is very difficult to read and sometimes it is non existent. Sometimes it is damaged where part of it can clearly be read and itgerother parts can't. Much of the info was emailed to me so different people were doing the interpreting and then the possibility of typos and mis-interpretation exists.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the chances that AE kept their coding consistent through the 20 year run of these phones is likely 0. And, there would have been some phones with additional or different features that may have added a letter or number to the coding that wasn't there on most other phones.

A quick look at the pattern of the "second code" shows that in most cases the initial letter of the second code is A, B, D or E though I also see an H and a L.

Logically from what we have seen from AE this first letter would represent the dial. But Jack listed this for dial codes:

A    Dunno
M   Number only dial
E    Numbers and letters
C    Dial blank
D    Dunno

There is no B listed here and my codes list from phones has absolutely NO "C" for Dial Blank on it. Some of these phones must have originated from AE as sets equipped with a blank. I will study my list further for that. It looks more like the order code doesn't directly transfer to the Base Code.

And here is the chart previously posted for 47 (L-4111) sets.

Terry

RotoTech99

Dear Unbeldi:

The original code from the bottom as best I can read was N 4069 JK7.

I did the rebuild using a AE Hookswitch, induction coil and condenser for a common battery set.

I have the induction coil in front of me, and the part number. I do recall it had the jumper link in a different position than the induction  coil for the common battery set, and the hookswitch lacked the resistor assembly used with the common battery set.

I'll put the part numbers in another post as my phone I'm posting from is giving me a little trouble with that