and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Switchboard key name, purpose, and wireing example

Started by RB, February 21, 2017, 02:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

Hello all.
First time poster.
My Name is Rod. I am a technician. I do what ever it takes to reach the desired end.
My interest...
I have 3 crank phones. I desire to build a switchboard, and connect the 3 phones in my house.
So... I have bought a few key switches to build around.
My problem...
The keys have a number on them, but, I cannot find a description or an example of how to wire them.
I have Western electric, and I believe a Kellogg key.
Now, I can figure it out and make them work.
I would, however, like to have a list of model numbers, with a description, and an example of how they were wired.
I have a lot of pics, and a few schematic depictions, but no hard examples of them in action.
can anyone provide me with some solid information, and an education?
Thanks in advance.

HarrySmith

If you post some detailed pictures of what you have, including any numbering, someone here will be able to identify them and recommend proper documents.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

unbeldi

Quote from: RB on February 21, 2017, 02:38:45 PM
Hello all.
First time poster.
My Name is Rod. I am a technician. I do what ever it takes to reach the desired end.
My interest...
I have 3 crank phones. I desire to build a switchboard, and connect the 3 phones in my house.
So... I have bought a few key switches to build around.
My problem...
The keys have a number on them, but, I cannot find a description or an example of how to wire them.
I have Western electric, and I believe a Kellogg key.
Now, I can figure it out and make them work.
I would, however, like to have a list of model numbers, with a description, and an example of how they were wired.
I have a lot of pics, and a few schematic depictions, but no hard examples of them in action.
can anyone provide me with some solid information, and an education?
Thanks in advance.

Welcome!

"Crank phones"  are usually local battery telephones with a magneto generator for signaling.
While one could certainly build a magneto switchboard, you have to consider that it would also need an operator to facilitate every call between your three telephones.

Much easier is to simply connect them to a common line of two or three wires, strung from each telephone to the next.  Each telephone only needs a local battery to power the transmitter.

The generator can then be used from any one station to alert possible talk partners at the other two instruments to pick up.
No operator needed.  This is called a party line and was the principle method of "switching" on rural lines.

What kind of sets do you have ?

unbeldi

Other than building your own, small magneto switchboards do show up once a while on eBay or on the collectors' discussion lists.

All typical manufacturers made magneto switchboards that used corded plug & jack type switching methods, most of which are well-sized pieces of furniture, but some also made small cordless switchboards with just keys for arranging calls.  Complete circuit diagram are available.

Some common-battery cordless switchboards also may have a magneto tie trunk line feature, normally intended for connecting the PBX to a magneto exchange, but since there is almost no difference between a magneto tie line and a magneto station circuit, it can be used to serve a party line of magneto telephones.  The benefit is that it also provides station circuits for common-battery telephones.

Here is a discussion about a 10-line magneto board with circuit diagram:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12328.0

RB

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 21, 2017, 07:38:49 PM
If you post some detailed pictures of what you have, including any numbering, someone here will be able to identify them and recommend proper documents.
Thanks for the replys.
Although I do not have pics yet, I do have the model numbers.
first is a CIJH double locking switch. basically, 2 dpdt switches, with one extra switch on 3 sections.
second, CIAE double locking switch. 2 spdt, and 3 spst switches.
third, CIJL non locking switch. 2 spdt switches.
That's what I have so far. all 3 appear to be WE switches.
Quote from: unbeldi on February 21, 2017, 09:11:48 PM

Welcome!

"Crank phones"  are usually local battery telephones with a magneto generator for signaling.
While one could certainly build a magneto switchboard, you have to consider that it would also need an operator to facilitate every call between your three telephones.

Much easier is to simply connect them to a common line of two or three wires, strung from each telephone to the next.  Each telephone only needs a local battery to power the transmitter.

The generator can then be used from any one station to alert possible talk partners at the other two instruments to pick up.
No operator needed.  This is called a party line and was the principle method of "switching" on rural lines.

What kind of sets do you have ?
I have 2 black plastic crank desk phones. and one 2 box wood wall phone.
I am building this because I now have 2 grand babies that I hope will have an interest in electronics.
So, this would be perfect for the two of them to play with.
Plus, I just think switchboards are way cool.
So I am gonna build one!
I cannot decide yet, if I want local, "much easier", or common batt. which will require me to swap coils, and rewire each phone, not so fun.
I would love to find a 5 line switchboard, or something similar...but I can not afford what they command.
Thanks all for your help!
Regards
Rod

Owain

Telephone lines use one pair of wires for economy. In home intercom use, distances are a lot less and 2- or 4-pair cable is affordable, which can simplify wiring considerably. You can separate the power, speech and signalling circuits.

RB

Thank you all for your replies!
This is an interesting journey.