News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Wooden top box TYPE ???

Started by Sargeguy, May 28, 2018, 09:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Purchased this top box off of eBay for parts.  It is in pretty good condition overall.  I may need to just pop a magneto in it and call it a day!   It is not marked but appears similar to a TYPE 72. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Closer examination of the box shows that it was re-purposed at least twice from it's original configuration.  The lightning arrestor was removed and the hole plugged, and the hole for the shunt switch was also plugged.  Two of the binding posts along the bottom were removed and the holes plugged.  Looking at the back we see more evidence that rewiring a phone required some woodworking skills back in the 1890s. Finally, the magneto was removed and it was wired as a ringer box.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

RB

Not much to work with left there.
blank canvas more so...
Have you replaced the wires on the back before?
I had to do an ericson. not fun...
seems those boxes were made generic for multiple purposes.
Easy to do anything you like! :)

Sargeguy

Actually all it needs is a magneto-it has the ringer and switch and has not been converted into a pony phone.  The binding posts were for "bridging" circuits.  Based on the configuration and diagram on the door this was part of a 3-boxer originally.  It will need to be re-finished.  The nickel is degraded on the exterior parts and there is mildew and water staining on the exterior.  I have removed all the exterior parts for cleaning and disassembled the wooden parts for stripping. At least someone removed the hornets nests for me this time. They left the moth cocoons though.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

After stripping the wood I discover that the wood is not walnut or  oak, it is mahogany.  Apparently this was an option in the 1880s. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Based upon the configuration it is most likely a TYPE 72 that was repurposed for use on a TYPE 240 or similar arrangement
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409