News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wooden Wallphones Aquired This Week

Started by skyrider, August 18, 2018, 10:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skyrider

I've wanted to add to my wooden wallphone collection for the past couple of years. Instead of picking up one here or there, I found a group of wallphones on eBay where the price was right but the shipping was prohibitive (over $600). My wife and I decided to take a road-trip and pick them up. This was part of a collection owned by a deceased collector in Missouri.

A very nice experience dealing with the family selling off the collection who were kind enough to let us come pick up the phones. Stopped in Paducah, KY along the way to visit the riverfront and the National Quilt Museum (one of my wife's interests). Beautiful works of art there, even I enjoyed it.

Bill Compton

Desert Phone Guy

HarrySmith

WOW! That is a lot of wood! Did you get them all?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

skyrider

Was this Jim Goodwin's Collection?

I did not ask his name, his daughter said he was a member of both clubs. The location was southwest of St. Louis.

Bill

Desert Phone Guy

That sounds about right.  Jim had a ton of phones!  He loved wood.  A very nice gentleman, I always enjoyed talking with him in my younger days of collecting when I lived back in Tennessee and attended the east coast shows.

Glad the phones have a new home.

skyrider

Steve I don't think I ever met him unless it was at the Erlanger shows. His daughter said he had wood sets up and down the hall way in his house. He had also added a second garage where there are many storage shelves full of single boxes and several two boxers. I'm at the point where I need to add a 2nd garage or building or make the move to a forever home.

Bill

Desert Phone Guy

Supposedly, his home was barely negotiable, due to the phones and various equipment spread out thru the area.  I don't recall him attending an Erlanger show, at least from the shows I attended there.  It was an easy drive from Knoxville to Erlanger, and there were some honeyholes to find things along the way, especially around Paris, Ky.

oldguy

WOW, that is an amazing addition to anyone's collection, congratulations Bill.
Gary

skyrider

Thanks Gary. I would like to hear from others how and what to use to clean and lightly brighten the wood finishes. Just enough to make them more presentable. The forum is such a great place to get information and so many people willing to share their knowledge.

Bill

Doug Rose

Bill.....tremendous find! How many phones did you get total?  How did you find out about the huge group for sale?

Is that a red and blue 302 above the fire place?

Howard's restorafinish work great on old wood.

I am very happy for you!.....Doug
Kidphone

Desert Phone Guy

Hi Bill..

I have been using this product for many years to clean and restore old finishes on wood.  It works really well.  Also will work on other materials to dissolve grime remove dirt.

Typically you can find it at antique malls and similar places.  The last I purchased was $16.95 per container, and that was in Knoxville, TN about  2 weeks ago.

Hope this helps...

Steve

skyrider

Thanks Doug and Steve for the information. I have several partial cans of Howard's that we have found at estate sales but I have never used them now I will. Yes Doug the red 302 is real the blue is painted maybe someday I will find a blue. I have 3 red 2 green 2 rose and 5 ivory 1 is a 354. In total I aquired 10 single boxes 1 fiddle back 3 2 boxers and 6 ringers.
    Steve where in Knoxville did you find the New Life, I have not seen it in any stores around Metro Atlanta. We are in Knoxville often visiting family.

Bill

HarrySmith

I agree with Doug, Howard's is really good. I have only worked on a few wood phones but I used Howard's with great results. Did you get the 500's too?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

skyrider

Thanks Harry  I will try the Howard's. The black 500H I've had since 2005. The Med. blue 500s were for sale at the Lancaster show. I bought several soft plastic 500s from the seller but did not buy the sets then. I regretted not making a offer and was lucky to be contacted later by the seller and made the purchase. I keep several sets on display in our den and on the top of book cases in our living room used more like a library. I would love to find more of the classic color 500s from 1954-55.

Bill

Desert Phone Guy

Bill, there are several malls in Clinton TN which is about 20 miles north of Knoxville off I-75.  The trip is worth it just to check out the malls.  All in old restored buildings in downtown Clinton.

I don't believe you will be disappointed in this product.  I have not found anything better to clean old finish to presentable condition.