News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

French wooden magneto phone similar to type "Marty"?

Started by countryman, April 26, 2020, 07:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

I found this wooden phone. It's missing some parts and (maybe worse) has been restored before. But what is it? It resembles the wartime model 1940/41 Marty with it's painted iron hardware, but unlike most any french phone from the era it has a built-in ringer that seems original.
It has a Western Electric magneto, but this may be a later replacement as there are extra holes drilled for it in the base (?).

I just found it in an ebay auction and was the only bidder... now curious what it actually is...

RB

Hi
Nice piece!
Don't know anything about it.
Appears to have all the trappings of a regular LB phone???
It has the inline Ringer cap, so that's a step up.
The extra holes, may be for a smaller mag?
prob had provision for either, depending on distance from CO???
Looks like the rec is only part missing, plus the cap.
Interesting, to say the least.
Someone here will know whutcha got there.

rdelius

I see a 1943 date code on the capacitor. The ringer resembles a US military one.

countryman

The phone arrived and is in the expected condition - the seller's photos were quite good.

The cord is obviously frayed beyond any repair but interesting under archaeological aspects. It is (or was) a ribbon cable with a thin round cord woven through it - I suspect this was an elastic band, making the whole deal into a retractable cord! Never seen such a setup, did you?
The cord and everything else seems original to this phone, including the huge WE magneto and 1942 transmitter capsule. I suspected the wiring loom was replaced, as the wires have a plastic isolation, but it might as well be original?

Looking closely I could make out a thin print on the capacitor in German (!): Geprüft.... O.T. .... Fernmeldew...  (Tested... O.T. ... signal dept.) The phone might have been used in the German occupied part of France in WWII.

The receiver is missing the coils, diaphragm and cap. Might an American E1 cap fit the thread?

countryman

I now had correspondence with 2 knowledgeable collectors and both of them suggest this phone was built from pieces of earlier models. Obviously this was done with a certain degree of professionalism, considering the diagram sticker and how the wiring is done. Probably someone wanted a working phone during post-war material shortages. It may be a single copy or part of a small hand crafted series. I'll leave it unrestored but keep it.
I learned that the funny cord appeared in the mid 1950ies and was called "Elastophone"...