News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gray Western 150GJ 55

Started by ....., November 02, 2020, 01:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Picked up this Gray Western 150GJ 55 with some older parts.
Top half is cast as well as the coin gauge and backboard.

The upper 10-G lock is made by The Long Security Lock Company. Hartford, Conn. USA

George Long, President & General manager of Gray Pay Station, Hartford, CT started "the Long Security Lock Co.", and operated it out of the Gray Pay Station factory. Long started the lock company in 1926. This information was passed on to me by fellow member Jeff Lamb.

With the area code being 716 and the dial disk showing phone number, the phone looks to be from Buffalo, NY.

Did some minor cleaning on it.

RB

poplar1

:716 area code was split. 585-254 is Rochester,NY. These payphones were apparently sold to the public by Rochester Telephone Co..
Yours is the first example I have seen with the original cast coin gauge.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Quote from: poplar1 on November 02, 2020, 03:59:01 PM
:716 area code was split. 585-254 is Rochester,NY. These payphones were apparently sold to the public by Rochester Telephone Co..
Yours is the first example I have seen with the original cast coin gauge.

Thanks for the info, would you have any idea of the years they were doing this?

rdelius

At one time we at COT had about 100 Grey  and Grey western paystations that were rebuilt at some time coded 150gj55b.Rochester telephone instruction cards . Had princess type networks ,some had SC handsets. None had cast coin gauges. Some cast iron backboards and upper housings. .AE coin chutes .I think these were bought from Telephone Engineering. Concerted them back to resemble 150 g.

Quote from: rdelius on November 03, 2020, 09:30:10 PM
At one time we at COT had about 100 Grey  and Grey western paystations that were rebuilt at some time coded 150gj55b.Rochester telephone instruction cards . Had princess type networks ,some had SC handsets. None had cast coin gauges. Some cast iron backboards and upper housings. .AE coin chutes .I think these were bought from Telephone Engineering. Concerted them back to resemble 150 g.

This one does have a SC handset.

oldguy

Gary