News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New England Telephone (top box)

Started by Gary Z, November 23, 2020, 10:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Z

It was an online ad that caught my eye. I thought it was an early top box but some of it didn't look right. The hook switch was not a switch at all but just screwed into the side. I have been told that this was before the functional switch hooks. I would like to find out more about this. Is it in fairly original condition? Excluding the receiver, is it complete and what about a transmitter? The latest patent date is 1883. I know Telephony was rapidly changing during that time so was this a short lived model and what model would this be?
Thanks,
Gary Z

Jack Ryan

The first question is who made it and the second is for whom?

The resolution of the image is too low for me to read the plaque on the front but the arrestor is marked Bell.

If it were made for Bell, it would have a hook switch. Bell controlled patents that were applied for in 1877.

If it wasn't made for Bell, it might have used a non-gravity switch to avoid Bell's patents. What is the thing behind the receiver hook?

Jack

paul-f

Quote from: Jack Ryan on November 24, 2020, 07:05:45 AM
The first question is who made it and the second is for whom?

The second question is answered by the plate on top:  MADE FOR THE AMERICAN BELL TELEPHONE CO.

The plate on front reads:  SOLD BY THE So. NEW ENGLAND TELEPHONE CO. [and probably the city -- New Haven, Conn.?]

The knob behind the hook could control the switch. It would be interesting to see what's behind it inside.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Gary Z

Added is a closer view of the inside wires connected to the switch and a better picture of the front plate

paul-f

Thanks for the photos Gary.

It looks like turning the knob completes the circuit by rotating the plate inside. Correct?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Gary Z

Yes, correct. To connect or disconnect the circuit.

Sargeguy

I hope you bought it!!!  This an early, extremely rare top box from New England Telephone. The lack of a switch most likely indicates that it was some sort of sound-powered arrangement.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 30, 2021, 04:19:23 PM
I hope you bought it!!!  This an early, extremely rare top box from New England Telephone. The lack of a switch most likely indicates that it was some sort of sound-powered arrangement.
It is a SNET box and a good one....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

This is a Southern New England Telephone Company sound-powered unit. These were a short-lived and unsuccessful experiment by the NET&T and SNET companies (and others?) during the 1883-1890 period to use up there left over parts once Western Electric took over manufacturing.  These were a cheap alternative to a local or common battery and were used for point to point communications between something like a barn and a farmhouse, or a factory floor and main office. Most phones of this type are Viaduct with Post and Co., Chas Williams, or Viaduct magnetos and ringers.  There is also a Gilliland example. These feature either a single receiver as both a receiver and transmitter, two receivers, or a receive mounted inside the door with a "Blake" hole in front. Most are stamped "WESTERN ELECTRIC COMPANY-CHICAGO NEW YORK" on the front despite having few, if any, WE parts.  Some examples from New England have a shield escutcheon stamped "N.E.Tel&Tel Co, 1890".
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409