News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wooden phone I.D. - Western Telephone Manufacturing Co. fiddleback

Started by oldnorth, December 06, 2020, 05:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldnorth

This phone was my fathers and hung on the wall of his office for the last 40 years. The only markings I can find on it is on the mouthpiece and it says: "WESTERN TELEPHONE MANUFACTURING COMPANY CHICAGO". I'd really like to know what model and year it might be. If you need more info or pics I'd be happy to oblige. Thanks for your help.

< Edit 04-15-21: Images attached >

oldnorth

Nobody can help me learn more about this phone? I'd really like to know what it is and searches haven't come up with much info. I'd appreciate any help anyone might be able to give.

FABphones

Could you add a couple of clear photos of the earpiece, showing it with the endcap removed and a photo of rear of phone.

Might also be worth contacting the Made In Chicago Museum:
https://www.madeinchicagomuseum.com/single-post/chicago-telephone-supply-co/

If you add photos as an attachment when posting, they will show like the example below, and won't be 'lost' when the link breaks.

:)

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

poplar1

Are the letters Xed out H and C? Then the hand generator is probably Holtzer-Cabot.

However, parts could have been purchased by smaller companies which hired cabinet makers and others to assemble them. Also, parts such as transmitters and receivers were sometimes changed out by the trouble man (repairman) or by resellers.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

oldnorth

Thank you so much for your expertise!

I tried to take better photos, including the ones you asked for. The lighting was still not ideal but hopefully they show a little more detail. I don't see the letters "H" or "C" in the Xed out pattern. It looks to be just a fancy X pattern. The body of the handset has a stamp that reads "757".

< Edit 03-16-21: Images removed, rotated, reattached >

oldnorth

more...

< Edit 03-16-21: Images removed, rotated, reattached >

oldnorth

more...

FABphones

Quote from: poplar1 on December 10, 2020, 07:00:18 AM
Are the letters Xed out H and C? Then the hand generator is probably Holtzer-Cabot...

Hard to read but looks like a five pole with TIC or TC? which has been x'd out (I adjusted the photo slightly to see if I could get a clearer image). There might even be a W and/or M on there and no x, the font doesn't look even like the same x's might in a row.

Screenshot of HC from another magneto for comparison.

—-

ETA: TiWMC ?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

oldnorth

FABphones, thank you very much! They do look very similar. With my naked eye I cannot see the remnants of a letter "H" at all. My best camera is a gopro, which I'm having a hard time getting quality close up pictures with. I will try to get access to a better camera and better light and take closer pics, but here's the best I can do for now.

Key2871

When I first saw the magneto, I thought Holtzer Cabot. But the Xs that confused me, couldn't see clear enough. But it does look to be one.
KEN

oldnorth

Looking at it closer it looks like a "W" "T" "M" "C" transposed over eachother. For Western Telephone Manufacturing Company.

wds

The Ringer is Western Telephone, the magneto is Western Telephone, of course the transmitter is.  The transmitter arm looks like a Dean.  Very nice wood phone with a few non-Western parts like the receiver and transmitter arm.  Definitely a keeper.
Dave

magicbrain

Here is the info on this company from the ATCA website showing some phones similar to yours.
Bruce

wds

Looks like that might have the correct transmitter arm after all.  Very nice phone.
Dave

Doug Rose

Transmitter plate looks like it is beveled. Beveled transmitter plates are early and scarce. Raised letters is also a plus.

Can you take a closeup pic with out the mouth piece screwed in. Very nice indeed....Doug
Kidphone