News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Monarch Candlestick help please

Started by xtal_01, January 16, 2021, 11:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtal_01

I have never owned a candlestick phone but started keeping my eyes open for one.

I found one ... a Monarch with the magneto/ringer box

The mouth piece is missing a big chunk  .... the cord has tape on it ... and worst of all, the threads on the receiver are stripped and it is missing the metal disc.

I have two wall type magneto phones ... got them working and wired together.  I would want to get this one working (not just a display).

From a previous post, it looks like the mouthpiece should not be a big problem ... it might be the same as an SC.  Any suggestions on where to find one (original not repro)?

The cord ... I am guessing any reproduction will work (I assume you can't find originals in good shape)?

Now the receiver ... there is a problem.  Does anyone know where I can find one to match this phone?

Last question ... how much is it worth?  He is asking $150 (plus shipping).

Thanks .... Mike

RB

cords can be found.
150 is reasonable for that pair.
Regards
Rod

xtal_01

I asked the seller to take a closer look at the phone.

He says there are no marks on the receiver ... and he didn't see any on the phone either.

From the pictures, do I think this is a Monarch phone or ????

Where can I find the "correct" receiver to match this phone?

Thanks ..... Mike

rdelius

This must be a late  Monarch telephone made after AE bought Monarch. The set resembles an AE type 21 set but no place for a dial . The rec would have patent  around the cord hole. AE marketed non dial sets under the Monarch name

Jack Ryan

Quote from: rdelius on January 18, 2021, 06:37:43 PM
This must be a late  Monarch telephone made after AE bought Monarch. The set resembles an AE type 21 set but no place for a dial . The rec would have patent  around the cord hole. AE marketed non dial sets under the Monarch name

Monarch sold AE sets with Monarch transmitter and receiver.

AE sold its manual sets under the American Electric name.

I responded with images on the Singing Wires list if you can see that.

Jack

SUnset2

Is that the phone on Craigslist in Gig Harbor, WA?  If so, he dropped the price to $130.

xtal_01

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

I just saw the pictures Jack posted.

I asked the seller for more pictures (I made the mistake earlier today of asking for pictures of the back of the phone ... he sent me pictures of the back of the ringer box).

If I understand what Jack is saying ... if the phone is a Monarch (and we would need more pictures to be sure) it should have a Monarch receiver (and transmitter) ... not an AE

I am guessing Monarch receivers are few and far between .... any idea where I should look for one?

Thanks so much  ..... Mike

FABphones

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble