News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric (Davis & Watts/Viaduct box)

Started by JimNY, July 21, 2021, 04:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNY

I came across this box recently but don't know much (actually anything) about. Aside from some patent dates is unmarked. It has what appears to be an early induction transmitter, but no receiver.  Anyone have any insight on what this might be from and who manufactured it?

tom.adams1

1880 Vintage Sound Powered Bell Contractor set most likely by Davis-Watts.  I would be interested in buying it if you want to sell it.
tom.adams1@nc.rr.com

Sargeguy

Nice find.  The New Hampshire Telephone Museum has a partial one from Gilliland that we are attempting to restore. Can you post more pictures of the hook?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

JimNY

Sorry for the very late reply. There is no hook on this box, just two terminal posts on the left side.

Sargeguy

This is what the hook looks like for one of these. It is stationary.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

It looks like it is tamped "Western Electric Chicago New York" below the hole on the front door.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

JimNY

Sarge,

Thanks for the info, I can't believe I missed that. In an earlier post you mentioned that you were restoring a 'Gilliland' for your museum. Is what I have a Gilliland box as well?  I would love to learn more about if you have anything to share. The only thing I know about Gilliland is from what I found in Richard Mountjoy's reference book.

Regards,
Jim

Sargeguy

No. This is a Davis & Watts/Viaduct box that was re-branded Western Electric. These were sold in the mid-1880s as private line telephones. It is thought that they were part of a scheme to get rid of all the leftover equipment from the early Bell licensees after the switch to Western Electric. I have one that uses a single receiver as a transmitter and receiver, it has a NET&T shield escutcheon around the crank.  They did not work very well and were not popular. Yours would have had a long pole that hung from your missing hook. The transmitter is made of the guts of a long pole.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Do you have more pictures of the top/lightning arrestor and the side with the crank? Also check the insides of your gongs to see if they are marked. Mine are stamped W&S
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409