News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I met a wood phone restorer this week

Started by Jim Stettler, June 10, 2010, 01:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

I met a wood phone restorer this week. He has been restoring wood phones for years. He does a fantastic job. I spent about 2 hours chatting with him.

He will also add 500 type guts to the phones so they work, for dialing purposes he adds a wood box w/TT pad that can be mounted next to the phone.
He doesn't remove the exsisting parts, he just likes to make nice looking, modern sounding old wood phones.

He is aware of the clubs, but has never joined.

He has at least a dozen restored phones for sale. if anyone is interested I can probably get some photos. his prices are less than the local antique stores and the phones are "factory fresh" restored. He does use some repro parts.
the phones I saw were single box (mainly WE), but he had some other brands as well.
He is retired and restores wood phones and candlesticks as a hobby.

I will be getting back with him later and sell/trade  some parts for some princess and/or 500 stuff.
I thought this restorer was worth mentioning, and I will be able to get rid of my spare wood parts for plastic  rotary phones.

Meeting him was a fun time for us both,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Give him a link to our site, and invite him to post some photos. I for one would love to share photos with him. 
Oh Yes, you may want to introduce him to the "tin Man".

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

I told him that I would mention his phones on the forum.
He said he doesn't like to do computer stuff, however he does buy on ebay.
I think he is just fooling himself about computers. I already assembled a box of parts and an interesting piece that I want him to restore. He might be willing to restore wood phones for forum members.
I am not sure how old he is but his oldest daughter is 55.
I got his business card from an antique mall after BSing with the clerk for 20 minutes or so, he mentioned there was a guy who restored old wood phones and he had a spare card for him.
I drove by the address to locate the house and he was working outside, I stopped on impulse and introduced myself and started talking telephone.
Jim

MORAL: Talk to strangers and pass out business cards.

PS Do I know the "tin man", sounds like I should learn about him.
I know we have several "plastic people" on the forum.
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Thinking about it,
I think I went to school with his younger daughter (class of '79). I remember a girl by the same last name, and he lives in my old "hood". I will ask when I see him again. I didn't know her but I recognize the name.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Jim S. on June 10, 2010, 02:21:38 AM
PS Do I know the "tin man", sounds like I should learn about him.
I know we have several "plastic people" on the forum.

Jim;
Just a pun, you said you; "Met a wood Phone restorer."
D/P

bwanna

donna

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,

Dennis Markham

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

I spent another 3 hours with Jim Butler today. He is the phone restorer. I cut him some great deals on phone parts for wood phones. In exchange I was able to get rid of some boxes of parts that I have had for years and even get a "NICE" wad of ofcash. A classic Win-Win deal.

Jim is in his 70's and he restores wood phones (mainly WE) as a hobby.  He is a lot of fun and he knows a lot about wood.

I invited him to join the the forum. I pointed out he could find parts and he is very interested in Remco's library. I think he may lurk. He would be a nice asset to the forum. Yo Jim, Join up.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther