News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Terry-Phone Intercom/Paging Systems

Started by HarrySmith, April 26, 2012, 09:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I could not resist when I spotted this! I thought it was very unusual, appears to be a Connecticut phone like the TP-6A with a speaker instead of a dial. Can't wait to open it up!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360453689749
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

I wonder of the same company came out with a "Terry-Vision", or would that just be terry-bul? :D

Looks interesting for sure, that switch looks like it's missing it's retaining nut, but they're easy to come by for replacements I'm sure... :)

Witty

That is a totally awesome phone.  This is what phone collecting is all about to me.  Anyone can find old Western Electric early phones, or other popular brands, even if they command a fortune to buy, but this is a very rare and a unique phone that you just cannot go out and acquire when you want to.  This is the kind of stuff I love and look for.  Great find.

Ken
Ken

HowardPgh

That is a very interesting phone.
We have a Terryphone system at work which we still use. It is very old, 1960s vintage.  The amplifier is based on a Bogen PA amp with some added relays for paging.  Our phones are based on AE 80s with ITT G type handsets and a speaker  in the dial area.
To page on these you press a thumb button by the earpiece.
There is nothing inside the phone but a speaker, relay, transformer, neon light, a microswitch and a weight.
Here is a more modern version.
Howard

HowardPgh

I wonder if the old one is compatable with a newer system.
I would love to have an old one like that on my desk just to be different.
Howard

HarrySmith

That is pretty cool! Especially "newer" meaning 50 years old! I had no idea anything like this was still in use today! I will post more once I get it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

While we're on the subject, here are a few more from past auctions that attracted my attention.

Terryphone was obviously at it for many years.  Anyone interested in compiling and writing a history?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

Finally got the Terryphone after the post office lost it for over a week! Pretty cool item. I am sure I have a nut for the line selector switch in my toolbox but I am in need of a knob for it. It is a threaded type, not a push on as I thought. Anyone out there have anything like it, maybe one of you radio guys? A few pictures below and more on my Picassa page here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103483280648956762530/TerryPhone ( dead link 03-11-21 )
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"