News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 293A in Black

Started by Sargeguy, September 25, 2012, 09:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

This gem was about $65 including shipping, I think the 323 "American Bell Telephone" transmitter with dial card holder, and receiver are easily worth that.  

The phone is walnut painted black.  

It appears to be a factory job, as the inside is also painted.  Most examples that are painted black are not painted inside and have been re-designated "495"

Not a factory directory hook, but it goes with the phone so I think I'll keep it.

Worked right out of the box.  I switched the cord which had a frayed sheath although the rubber/vinyl coated wires were intact.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AE_Collector

Here in BC Canada we used a lot of AE equipment and they painted the majority of their wood sets black from the outset. We also had a lot of NE sets such as the 293A and while they weren't originally painted black a lot of them were repainted black when they were refurbished. Presumably it was a quick and easy refurb and since we were used to black wooden sets anyway...

Terry

Sargeguy

If the insides are not painted, I usually strip them and refinish them, but if they are painted, then I leave them. 

I thought this might have been repainted but it looks like that was the original finish.  It does have the older style bell nuts, which you rarely see painted black.  The nuts do not appear to have been nickel plated prior to painting, nor do the bells.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Fabius

Quote from: poplar1 on January 23, 2016, 05:47:28 PM
Here is another one that is original "factory black."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outstanding-Western-Electric-Wood-Telephone-293A-/151960517302

Nice looking phone in black. Since it has a stamped hook switch instead of cast and a screw lock rather then the earlier key lock isn't the 229 transmitter with the outside wire through the grommet in the transmitter cup too early?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

poplar1

1908 WE Catalog, page 93,  shows the 293A with the screw lock, 3A transmitter bracket, No. 229-W Transmitter, and No. 122-W receiver. However, the gongs are attached with hex-head screws rather than the round-head screws.

Edit: Also, a 5 1/2 inch No. 179 cord (for the transmitter).

The 140-A hookswitch in the catalog does look older with its oval escutcheon.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.