News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 1002 handset

Started by Sargeguy, September 27, 2012, 05:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I found one of these at an antique store fpr $30.  It's miising some screws that hold the transmitter assembly and the sheath on the cord is missing in spots, but otherwise it looks good.

The transmitter will not budge from the cup,  I don't want to force it until I know more about hoe it is fastened in there. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

cihensley@aol.com

I think Doug Rose had very nice example of that handset for sale several months ago. He may be able to help you with disassembly advise.

Chuck

Sargeguy

The usual method of heating it in the oven then applying an ice cube to the face worked.  After disassembling it I realized that the container for the carbon granules had split and there were no more granules.   The watchcase receiver has lost almost all of its magnetism.  I need a picture of the screws that hold the bottom on, because they are al MIA. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

I have a Grabaphone handset whose receiver lost most of its magnetic charge.  I was able to improve the receiver by placing some very small strong magnets, from Home Depot, onto the insides of the magnet.

Larry

Doug Rose

I have two of these, they are just the coolest handsets. Both of mine are in working condition and I have never opened them. They are really tough to find with the bakelite handle intact.

I just found a Holtzer Cabot made in Boston this week....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

Here is a copy of a photo provided by TCI member Jim M.:

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

TCI member Ralph M.  hooked me up with a parts handset that I cannibalized for parts.  They included the missing piece and screws, the metal part of the handle, the transmitter guts, the hook, the receiver magnets and the handle.  

Here is the result, cleaned and put together, I have not polished it and I am awaiting the hand-set cord:

Once its done I need to figure out what to do with it.  I know they were used on magneto boxes, does anyone have a picture of one on the hook?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

G-Man

1002A  For use in place of a regular local battery bridging or central battery desk stand or transmitter arm. Includes No. 141-W receiver, No. 267-W transmitter and No. 319 cord ............$6.35