News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Looking for info on Automatic Electric Type 18 Magneto Wall Monophone

Started by davidbholcomb, November 26, 2012, 06:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidbholcomb

I am looking for info on the AE Type 18 Magneto Wall Monophone. I found it in the 4055 catalog as "Manual Monophone Wall Set, Type 18" and in the 4055 C & D catalogs as "Type 18 Magneto Wall Monophone." Cat. No. AE-14. It appears that they did not make it in 1929 for it is not in a flyer of that year. Any and all info would be fantastic.
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

AE_Collector

I wouldn't have thought that they would refer to a Magneto Phone as a Manual Phone. Two different things really. Any chance that the Manual Phone was basically the same looking except NO Magneto in it?

Terry

davidbholcomb

Hi Terry, I have attached a pdf file on the entries in the 3 catalogs that I could find it in. Please let me know what you think after looking at them. Has anyone ever seen one of these?

Quote from: AE_collector on November 26, 2012, 10:46:34 PM
I wouldn't have thought that they would refer to a Magneto Phone as a Manual Phone. Two different things really. Any chance that the Manual Phone was basically the same looking except NO Magneto in it?

Terry
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

AE_Collector

Yeah, you are correct. In the older catalog they refer to them both (type 10 metal cabinet and type 18 wooden cabinet) as Manual Monophone Wall Sets. Monophone of course is the name they used for the NEW handset rather than seperate transmitter and receiver. Mono = All in one instaed of two pieces.

By the later catalog they were refering to them as Magneto Wall Phones which is how I would refer to them. Today's terminology is Manual means Common Battery or "Go off hook and wait for the operator" rather than "turn the crank to get the operator" in the case of magneto phones. Not sure if there has been a bit of a terminolgy change over the years between those catalogs or someone used incorrect terminology in the early catalog. Of course there is a third option.....I could be wrong....AGAIN!

Terry

davidbholcomb

Well I just received my Type 18 Magneto Wall Monophone, AE-14, in the mail and I have a little problem. The handset rattles at the transmitter. I took it apart (see pictures below) and found what appears to be the 1945 conversion of the transmitter to a capsule transmitter as shown in the 1945 AE Bulletin 678. I found the bulletin on-line at the TCI library but the images are blurry. I think I might have something missing such as the spring assembly not all there or I might have the wrong capsule transmitter. The conversion calls for a D-38309-A and the one found in mine was a D-38379-A. Anyone familiar with this, I would truly appreciate any and all help.

Does anyone have one of these springs that I might compare it to?

Also I through in a picture of the receiver, that I took, and when I was reviewing the pictures I discovered the screw stuck to the magnet which I did not see when I had it apart. I wonder if this has anything to do with my problem.

LarryInMichigan

You definitely have a screw loose ;).  The screw doe not belong there.  You do appear to be missing the spring contact which is suppose to touch the middle contact of the transmitter capsule.  I have a handset like that, and when I received it, that contact was seriously bent out of shape.  The design could have been better.  You could ask around for a replacement or try to fabricate one.

Larry

stub

davidbholcomb,
                  NICE find !!! Here's the pic you needed-
                  When you get the parts to fix the handset install it like this-  Place transmitter element into cap, then put on the retaining ring , invert the handset , line up locater and hold together with thumb and tighten up the band with other hand.  I've seen many put together by dropping in the element without inverting the handset and you see the result- tab broken off.  My type 18 came with the same trans. upgrade.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Stub to the rescue!

I keep trying to get Ken to change his forum handle to AE_Expert but so far no go...

I think you may have to build your own contact David. Does it appear to have simply broken off...probably from incorrect assembly or disassembly of the handset. Less than perfect design as Larry said too.

Terry

stub

davidbholcomb,
                        Here's the piece you will need to build or find.
                        To enlarge the photo left click on pic.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

davidbholcomb

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 05, 2012, 11:11:49 PM
You definitely have a screw loose ;)
Larry

Thanks Ken, Terry, and Larry for the help. Three hero members to the rescue.  A tiny 4mm part is so annoying! Ken the pictures are a tremendous help and thank you for taking apart your phone to photograph. I do appreciate it. Now the challenge begins finding the part or a way to fabricate it. Boy it did not take long for this forum to figure out that I have a screw loose!
In my AE-14 was folded and clued a schematic that I have not seen in the TCI library. I have no idea how to offer it to the library, should they want it, so I post it here and maybe someone will forward on.

wds

Those new upgrades to that handset are worthless.  I twisted a couple of those in half until I figured out what was going on.  When unscrewing the brass ring, if you don't hold the mouthpiece firmly in place, the mouthpiece rotates and twists the contact until it breaks.  I've converted several of my handsets back to the old style transmitter so I didn't have to deal with the contacts breaking off. 
Dave

davidbholcomb

Quote from: wds on December 06, 2012, 12:39:27 PM
Those new upgrades to that handset are worthless.   I've converted several of my handsets back to the old style transmitter so I didn't have to deal with the contacts breaking off. 

I kinda agree with you wds. If I was to convert back I would have to find the correct capsule transmitter and the correct mouthpiece both were replaced during the conversion according to the instructions. I am not sure which transmitter should be original since the conversion instructions mentions both a type 35A7 and a type 5 being the transmitters being replaced. A AE catalog uses the number H-69743 as the part number of the capsule transmitter. If I were to find the parts I have been unable to find any diagrams showing the correct use of them. Does anyone know of a diagram showing this?

Anyone with the parts for sale I am in the market to buy!
(either the original parts or the conversion spring assembly)

wds

The old capsules are pretty easy to find on Ebay.  The harder part to find is the bakelite mouthpiece that goes with the older transmitter.  I was buying any old busted handset I could find for a while, just for the old mouthpiece and capsule.  I even found a NOS capsule once on EBay for cheap. 
Dave