News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Plain Jane wood wall phone-Inherited

Started by WesternElectricBen, January 05, 2013, 04:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

I inherited a believed 1945 Kellog wood wall phone. There is the engraving 45 on the back. (sorry no picture). This was in my grandmothers house when she was a teen so it I guess a heirloom. What I'm trying to ask is: can i convert this phone to work on todays lines. I don't care about dialing just about it ringing when receiving a call and being able to talk. Though I don't want to mess it up because it has sentimental value. Its a 5 bar magneto .Thanks
Ben

WesternElectricBen

xhausted110

you can get another magneto phone for cheap and connect the two together with 2 d batteries each. it's very simple and requires no conversion.
- Evan

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: xhausted110 on January 05, 2013, 05:39:03 PM
you can get another magneto phone for cheap and connect the two together with 2 d batteries each. it's very simple and requires no conversion.

I might do that but I don't have enough room in my bedroom!
Ben

xhausted110

- Evan

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: xhausted110 on January 05, 2013, 06:19:30 PM
they made small desk magneto phones.

Forgot about those, like the hotel kind! And leich. I'm more of a 302-2500 finatic...
Ben

poplar1

How about a WE 307 with a  WE 415H subset?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

poplar1

Connect it to the Kellogg wall phone. You could also string wire to all your neigbors. With 5-bar generator you should be good to ring 20 phones on a party line up to 20 miles long.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on January 05, 2013, 07:40:44 PM
Connect it to the Kellogg wall phone. You could also string wire to all your neigbors. With 5-bar generator you should be good to ring 20 phones on a party line up to 20 miles long.

Bah, obviously your kidding though I could try that. Setting up wires in the garage. Are five bars really that powerfull?
Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricMcCabe on January 05, 2013, 10:12:44 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on January 05, 2013, 07:40:44 PM

Bah, obviously your kidding though I could try that. Setting up wires in the garage. Are five bars really that powerfull?
Ben
Its been done before!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Ok then, but I'm sure the neighbors wouldn't like it. haha

Ben

Bill

I admit I'm confused by the answers you are getting. If I understand your original query, you want to hook this up this old phone as a working telephone on your modern household telephone account, treating it as an extension phone. Since it has no dial, you recognized that you won't be able to dial, but you would still like to be able to answer incoming calls, and converse just as you would do on a more traditional extension phone.

Do I understand you correctly?

If so, I note that you have a "local battery" phone, meaning that operating power is provided by the batteries in the phone. All modern telephone systems are "common battery" systems, meaning that operating power is provided from the phone company end of the line. In order to make your phone work, you need to do a "local battery to common battery conversion". This is not a matter of moving a few wires. But if you use the Search tool for "LB CB conversion" or something similar, you will find a description of a small box of external circuitry that will do the job. You might start here
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4361.0

Good luck. And if I misread your request, I apologize.

Bill

WesternElectricBen

You understand me exactly, thanks! I gotta go read up now.

Ben

dsk

Yes you may use this one without ruin it. actually it could be done with ease.
Could you please post a better picture of the wiring diagram.

This one should probably work well by only move a few wires, and adding in a capacitor and a resistor. The generator will not do any job here.

dsk

Modified:
This may help? http://tinyurl.com/b7hlrbl