News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WECO 43N "Southern Massachusetts Telephone Co." extension ringer

Started by Sargeguy, January 18, 2013, 09:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

The Southern Massachusetts Telephone Company provided services on the South Coast, Cape and Islands, and parts of RI* in the late 19th and early 20th century before being fully absorbed by NE T&T around 1920.  It is stamped on the side "Southern Massachusetts Telephone Company"  and under the lid "SPECIAL TYPE 43N".  I suspect the "special" refers to the gongs and binding posts, which look like they may have been copper plated at some point (does not show in picture).  The box is in excellent condition except for the mandatory white paint drips on the back.  New England Telephone boxes are quite common, I have only seen one of these before (maybe the same one?) sell on eBay about 3 years ago.

*South Coast=the part of MA that stretches from Eastern RI to Cape Cod.  Cape and Islands=Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket and the Elizabeth Islands.  Parts of RI most likely means Tiverton, Little Compton or Block Island. If anyone knows what parts, please let me know.  
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Although sources say that the Southern Massachusetts Telephone Co. served Cape Cod, I have an 1895 pattern New England Telephone sign that was removed from a hotel in Truro, the second to the last town on Cape Cod.  It eould have been earliar, or at least around the same time as this sign.  It would seem that there were few clear distinctions between New England Telephone and some of the smaller Bell System affiliates operating in New England (except for the Southern New England Telephone Company, which was distinct from NE T&T).  Maybe NE T&T provided pay station service while SM Telco was residential?

Here is a picture of the sign (far right):

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Sargeguy

Thanks, I got this one for $38: somewhat less than my "all in" final bid, so I was happy.   I actually paid $1 less for this one than I did for the NE T&T version, which is a dud. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409