Quote from: Sargeguy on December 25, 2013, 01:26:54 PM
Home-made?

Vintage Wooden Box Western Electric Telephone Bells
Quote from: Contempra on December 25, 2013, 01:33:03 PM
Quote from: Sargeguy on December 25, 2013, 01:26:54 PM
Home-made?

Vintage Wooden Box Western Electric Telephone Bells

Seems to be original but i'm not sure.

I second that the telephone is homemade. There are no finger-joints present. I also have not seen that edge before. But other than not being WE, not a bad home-made job.

Sargeguy

Western Electric Antique Wall Phone Parts

How many parts are actually WE?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161213981246
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Dave

Sargeguy

i'm not so sure about the mouthpiece.  Could be a heavy duty WE, I would compare it to mine if I could locate it.  The 355 transmitter is interesting though.  Not $50 intersting, but interesting.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Contempra

ringer, bells, crank , the hook...

Sargeguy

Western Electric style TYPE 85 by California Electrical Works?

Western Eelctric style type 85 common battery telephone

QuoteI have an all original walnut Western Electric style type 85 common battery set for sale. This telephone was found in the San Francisco bay area a number of years ago and may be a set made the Western Electric subsidary California Electrical works. There are many similarities to the standard Western type 85 common battery fiddle back. but some distinct differences from typical Western sets. The wiring needs to be redone and it appears that most of the parts are present. The exposed terminal receiver is in very good condition with no cracks or chips. There is not a single letter or number stamped anywhere on the telephone which was commonly found on other Western Electric sets. these walnut common battery sets are seldom seen here on Ebay.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rdelius

California Electrical works was the west coast reprosenitive for WE.I do not know if it was absorbed into WE.It was in SanFransisco and the earthquake damaged the factory

G-Man

Quote from: rdelius on April 10, 2014, 09:47:21 AM
California Electrical works was the west coast reprosenitive for WE.I do not know if it was absorbed into WE.It was in SanFransisco and the earthquake damaged the factory

San Francisco

OF course readers of the Western Electric News know that San Francisco is not a baby house over whom the stork's wings have not yet ceased to flutter but do they know that in our own right we too are celebrating our 50th Anniversary this year Although at first sight this statement may be as startling as a description of our w.k. climate it is nevertheless true because our family tree shows that the Electrical Construction Maintenance Company was organized in 1869 and incorporated in 1877 as the California Electrical Works

In 1902 the California Electrical Works became the Pacific Coast agents for the Western Electric Company of Chicago the business being continued under the original name until May 1908 when it was changed to Western Electric Company.

While the writer cannot qualify as one of the 1869 charter members he nevertheless claims a membership in the I knew him when club by having entered the employ of the California Electrical Works in 1903 when it was in the throes of reorganization under Western Electric methods About two years later the Company thoughtfully moved to its present quarters on Folsom Street an exceedingly practical case of foresight because the old quarters together with three quarters of the city were consumed by the Great Earthquake and Fire of 1906.

From this disaster of perpetual and melancholy renown our building emerged a battle scarred veteran saved by its wire glass water tanks and the devotion of sturdy employees who stuck to their posts like the Lost Battalion when completely surrounded by acres of raging flames. A great era of San Francisco building set in and our contribution to it was a right wing added subsequent to the fire and the painting out of the old name California Electrical Works in favor of Western Electric Company.

There followed several years of steady increase during which an Oakland store and an Emeryville warehouse were added to our establishment eventually breaking into the columns of the News in what has always seemed to us an almost too assertive and outspoken manner and during which we were visited by a succession of choice clippings from the Western Electric Who's Who In 1915 we acted as host to those Western Electric folk and friends who visited the Panama Pacific International Exposition and our worthy exhibit there whose gigantic telephone was inflexibly regarded by all small boys as the one used in New York to San Francisco conversations.

Other Western Electric contributions to this exposition form a lengthy list from the Sunbeam Mazda lamps on the tall Acroscopc to the hair dryers that were rushed out on the night before the Fair to dry out the tinting in incomplete booths.

Sargeguy

Interesting, but I am reasonably certain they did not make this phone.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Note the hole in the wood above the current transmitter arm, indicating that it may have originally had a #242 transmitter.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

QuoteNote the hole in the wood above the current transmitter arm, indicating that it may have originally had a #242 transmitter.

Noted.  Mine has a similar hole.  It looks like a TYPE 85 but has no markings and the hook is incorrect.  It has been re-finished, maybe the restorer sanded off the markings when he put in the switch?  And what is with the giant screw hole in the transmitter?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

What is sticking out under the arm??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

This one made even my head hurt . . .

Why 2 ringers? Wrong magneto, AE? dial, etc, etc, etc.

Antiquen-Western-Electric-Oak-Wall-Telephone-w-hand-crank

BIN $400 plus shipping. Listed within the hour of this post in a 30 day listing.

poplar1

Probably one ringer for incoming C.O. calls and one ringer that works with the generator. Don't see any original parts.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.