News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg-Carlson Candlestick Christmas Gift

Started by Ed Morris, December 26, 2023, 12:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Morris

My brother gave me this Stromberg-Carlson candlestick phone for Christmas.  It looks to be in very good condition, except for worn cords and a slow dial. The felt on the base is in excellent condition, and may be fairly new.  The phone does get a dial tone, but that's as far as I've gone in testing. Once I install new cords and service the rotary dial, I have a cheater subset I made that I can use for further testing.

SCcandlestick_01.jpg

I have not found a model number, if there is one.  Does anyone recognize the model?  I didn't see any dates anywhere on the phone either.  Does anyone know the date range for this model?

The dial is an Automatic Electric 63A, and appears to be original.  It needs cleaning and lubrication, but otherwise looks good.  The dial face is very clean and the fingerwheel looks good too.  The dial center is missing.

SCcandlestick_02.jpg

The transmitter is marked 297.  I don't know who made it.

SCcandlestick_04.jpg

The receiver is marked 27A.  I don't know who made the receiver.  The dial tone came through loud and clear, though, when I tested the phone.

SCcandlestick_05.jpg

My last telephone restoration was in April of 2020, so it's been almost four years since I worked on a telephone.  Last year I turned 80, and I find that I've forgotten a lot about telephone restoration since my last project.  Hopefully, this project will jog my memory.

Any information anyone would care to share about this telephone or its components would be very much appreciated.
Ed

HarrySmith

Nice stick! Looks great except the receiver cord. The dial is an AE so finding a number card holder should be easy. If you do not service dials Steve Hilsz will do it for $6.00 and probably supply you with a dial card holder to boot!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AL_as_needed

Great  :D gift, if only all family was more understanding of this condition we have
TWinbrook7

Ed Morris

Thanks for the comments!  I've already been in touch with Steve about servicing the AE dial.  I'll do an update when it's all back together.
Ed

MMikeJBenN27

Great gift!

Mike

Ed Morris

I finished up my Christmas candlestick phone today—for now, anyway.  I sent the dial off to Steve Hilsz for service, and he did a great job, as usual.  It works perfectly.  I found a dial center for it as well.

I replaced the receiver cord and the line cord.  I connected the line cord to my cheater subset and was able to dial my cell phone and leave a voicemail message.  The receiver wells fine, but I could barely hear the voicemail message.  Further testing indicates the transmitter element is very weak.  I'll have to look around for a replacement.

Ed

Kellogg Kitt

It looks nice beside the lamp and camera.

Wade

LarryInMichigan

Before you replace the transmitter, have you tried tapping and shaking it to loosen the carbon granules? 

Larry

MMikeJBenN27

I have a camera like that!  Since I was a kid.

Mike

Ed Morris

I have not tried tapping or shaking the transmitter to loosen the carbon.  I'll give that a shot.  Thanks for the tip.

The Kodak Six-16 used 616 film which is no longer available.  It is possible to modify th camera to take 120 film, which is still made, but I haven't done that as I have several old cameras that use 120 film.

Thanks for all the comments.
Ed

HarrySmith

Just tap it sharply a few times, flat on a hard surface. That should loosen them up enough.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Ed Morris

I tried removing the element, but it's stuck.  After removing the retaining clip, I wasn't sure which part is the element.  I just had cataract surgery yesterday, so my vision is a little off until the eye heals, so I was wary of trying pry the element out until I can see better.

Can anyone tell me if the entire part comes out or just the center element with the terminals?
Ed

TelePlay

I would guess after releasing the retaining wires from the posts on the right, the complete transmitter would come out.

I've never seen that design before but it looks easy to use, a mechanically simple to keep the transmitter in place.