News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

apparatus blanks

Started by Babybearjs, June 18, 2021, 07:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

just wanted to ask, does anyone know if there was an updated BSP about apparatus blanks and key telephones. did anyone ever have a manual 564 or 2564? would love to find out more about this? I'm not finding a lot of info about converting newer sets to a manual mode of operation...
John

Key2871

I had a NOS NE 564 manual set and the dial was in the box. I was told it came from Bryant Pond Maine, from the last cord board system in the country.
I sold that phone many years ago.
But yes it was manual with no dial installed.
KEN

Babybearjs

do you know of any BSP explaining the use of this type set? just curious to find out more about newer manual sets and where they were used...
John

Key2871

I'm not aware of newer phones being equipped with apparatus blanks. I had a 500M dated
For the late 50s once that came with a blank installed.
I just figured and later confirmed with Dick, an old guy who worked for ma bell that M stood for manual.
But for the newer model sets I have never seen anything with blanks installed.

I think the Newer I had had come in with a dial, then a blank was installed because there was no dial service where it was being used.
As mentioned Bryant Pond Maine was one of the last cord board telephone company's around, at least in this area. I saw some pictures of key service sets in use, I was surprised, but they were there none the less.

The son of the owners lives a few towns away from me, and I never had the pleasure of talking phones with him. I understand he still has some sets from his parents empire. As he used to service and install for them before they shut down.

So no, I never saw BSPs on sets coming through with blanks. But I know they did at a point eairly on, just not really in the later days.
KEN

Babybearjs

Thanks Ken. at least I know now.
John

poplar1

Quote from: Key2871 on June 19, 2021, 06:03:32 PM
I'm not aware of newer phones being equipped with apparatus blanks. I had a 500M dated
For the late 50s once that came with a blank installed.
I just figured and later confirmed with Dick, an old guy who worked for ma bell that M stood for manual.

500M is a dial set with A-lead control, for use with 1A1 or 1A2 Key System. Without a dial, this set is a 500L.

A non-dial standard 500 is a 500C. (The modular version of this is 500CM). The bases of premodular phones are marked "C/D 500" because the same chassis can be assembled as a 500C (manual) or 500D (dial).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

and the same would go for the 564 series, right?
John