Author Topic: North Galion with "Jaeger" AE style dial  (Read 574 times)

Offline countryman

Re: North Galion with "Jaeger" AE style dial
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 04:37:45 AM »
Looks like I found a suitable dial, or 2 to be exact :-)
That does not answer the question who did this quite professional conversion and for what purpose  :-\

Offline countryman

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2021, 10:20:31 AM »
The dials arrived and are in good order.
New surprise: The recess in the case is too deep for the dial. The screw pattern and diameter would fit, but the finger stop prevents the dial from slipping in. And if it would, it would sit too deep in the case. Do I need a spacer again?

Pics:
-New AE dial (left), old French dial with spacers, carefully manufactured in Aluminium.

-New dial dropped into case

Offline tubaman

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2021, 12:03:09 PM »
Yes, it still needs a spacer - see my photo.
I only know as a new-old-stock one I have came with one in its box.
It's 4.5mm (0.175") thick.

Offline countryman

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2021, 12:30:14 PM »
Thanks a lot for the info. I could use distance pieces/washers/rolls while longer screws will be the next hard-to-find item (metric world here).
I'm also still a bit concerned by the thought that I might "improve" a rare original variety into a cobbler's job.
Here's another North Galion with a French dial. OK the "dial card" makes clear that this one was tinkered with.
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/north-electric-telephone-line-ringer-telefon-alt-schwarz-vintage/1703881611-240-303
Picture from the ad:

Offline tubaman

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2021, 12:38:49 PM »
I'm also still a bit concerned by the thought that I might "improve" a rare original variety into a cobbler's job.
Here's another North Galion with a French dial. OK the "dial card" makes clear that this one was tinkered with.
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/north-electric-telephone-line-ringer-telefon-alt-schwarz-vintage/1703881611-240-303
Picture from the ad:

It is interesting that there are a few of these about with French dials fitted. Perhaps leave it as found as you say?
 :)

Offline countryman

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2021, 01:00:56 PM »
Right now I dug into a box of assorted screws and found what I needed - salvaged computer parts! The thread fits and it gives the correct distance. Amen.
I'll keep the french dial so there's an option to swap back again in case there were any new findings concerning an officially converted version.

As FABphones has just said, the French card retainers are unfortunately very difficult to find.

I made an approach to fabricate such a retainer. The card is a copy from a different French phone I have.

Offline Jack Ryan

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2021, 08:32:35 PM »
Right now I dug into a box of assorted screws and found what I needed - salvaged computer parts! The thread fits and it gives the correct distance. Amen.
I'll keep the french dial so there's an option to swap back again in case there were any new findings concerning an officially converted version.

I made an approach to fabricate such a retainer. The card is a copy from a different French phone I have.

You can use tubular spacers and longer screws as well but in either case, be careful with the length of the screws. A Type 24 dial is pretty safe but, for example, screws that are slightly too long will break the enamel number plate of a Mercedes dial.

Jack

Offline countryman

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2021, 02:14:16 AM »
Thanks for the hint Jack. In this case (the lower 2 pics of my last post) the relatively long spacers from a computer plug fitted in without doing damage, I checked that carefully.

Offline countryman

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2021, 03:36:56 AM »
Another North Galion with a French/German history. This time a dial-less one (with wrong handset). Maybe a hint to the origin of the phones with wrong dials? Were they originally dial-less when they came to Europe, maybe as military material, and were modified to be re-used later?
https://www.ebay.de/itm/313507905663