Author Topic: Mix & Genest Weltruf  (Read 175 times)

Offline countryman

Mix & Genest Weltruf
« on: April 11, 2021, 11:03:57 AM »
I found this phone on eBay classified ads lately. Nothing looking too spectacular, it could easily be mistaken for a German W28 or a TN Maingau of the same period. But it is a Mix & Genest Weltruf.
The name is a pun, it can mean both "worldwide reputation" and "worldwide call", seems appropriate for a phone :-)
It's from 1934 with matching dates on the capacitor, the transmitter and a sticker inside. It was painted red when I found it, not badly done but I elected to strip the paint off. After replacing the cords the phone worked right away, even the transmitter is not "dead".
Mix & Genest (of Berlin) was one of the oldest German phone manufacturers. They went up in ITT from the late 1920ies on, so I assume the Weltruf is already influenced by ITT, although I could not find the exact date and circumstances of it's appearance.
While the design with a pressed metal base and Bakelite upper part is not too spectacular, it has a number of unique features. The dial is special for this early model with it's mechanism and the layout of the fingerwheel. The handset can't be found on other models as well. It uses the old larger sized transmitter capsules from earlier metal handsets and not a receiver capsule like the W28 and many others, but the classic setup.
The Weltruf is not exactly rare in the meaning of sought after, but you don't see them often either. So I could not resist when this one was offered. I'm quite happy with the find.
The lower pics were made during restoration with the red paint partly still on it.

Offline Doug Rose

• Blondie & the Kid of Phone
Re: Mix & Genest Weltruf
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 12:30:31 PM »
First thing I noticed was the layout of the dial.....quite cool. Beautiful phone....Doug
Kidphone

Offline dsk

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 12:39:36 PM »
As Doug, I noticed the dial as pretty special, and when I look at the details on the dial it is a design having a construction that became more common 15 years later.
If they had  made it with a longer travel from last pulse to stop it could have been the same as the Germans used on the last W48. 

The circuit with disconnecting the ringer when off hook is good, and  the ringer (with higher resistance than standard) with 2 bells  in each other is also used many years later. The induction coil with only 4 terminals and an ohm-ratio more suitable for an ATA than most other German phones is remarkable.

Offline countryman

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 01:34:07 PM »
The dial is special indeed. It has some similarities with the Merk dial though, which in return is influenced by the AE Mercedes dial.
It has some advantages over the contemporary Siemens types. These use a heavy governor running a slow speed. This one, like the AE, has a fast running, small and lightweight governor. It is remarkably easy to adjust. There is a small sliding element on the governor shaft limiting the effective length of the springs (red circle in picture). On the picture in my original post you can see the tiny set screw. Unlike many other governors this one has a definite calibration device at all.

Edit to add, the number ring puzzles me. Other Weltruf phones I saw have black numbers on a white background. The pattern is reversed here, and looking closely, the numbers look hand painted. But to paint them like that it would take a real artist.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 01:44:24 PM by countryman »

Offline dsk

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 02:12:15 AM »
How easy it could have been if that became a standard.  :)

Offline tubaman

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 03:25:27 AM »
Nice find! I picked one up a couple of years ago (http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21968) and it's one of my favourite phones.  The number ring on yours does indeed look hand painted and is rather curious.
Very nice restoration - I assume you needed to repaint the metal parts once the red paint was removed?
 :)

Offline countryman

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 03:49:06 AM »
I see it was even Phone of the Month in February 2019 :-)
Yours has a Nickel fingerwheel, I'm envious ;-)
The red paint came off relatively easy with paint stripper and the original black coat underneath wasn't completely ruined, but seemingly wasn't the best already before it was painted over.
I sanded the outer surface and gave it a quick coat with glossy black paint spray. It looks as original as possible now and the inner side still has its patina. To my pleasure the decal on the back side of the Bakelite part survived the stripping process without further damages.