Author Topic: Kellogg Candlestick with Hook Switch Arm on Right  (Read 342 times)

Offline FABphones

• Global Moderator
Re: Kellogg Candlestick with Hook Switch Arm on Right
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2021, 03:07:43 AM »
Re phones being factory made for left handed writers (HSA to right) I personally doubt it. Always possible a special could have been made but I consider it highly unlikely.

I remember hearing many a story from then youngsters being at school and having their knuckles severely whacked with a ruler should they pick up a pen with their left hand. Teaching was incredibly strict back then, left handed writing was never tolerated. Plus every single old photo I have ever seen which show rows of Candlestick phones, they are always hook switch arm to left.

They aren’t difficult to swap to the ‘other side’, for whatever reason, and I believe any we find nowadays to have been changed over later in their existence.

Below one of my favourite photos (STC), showing rows of Candlesticks. Looks to be in the packaging dept, being made ready for dispatch.

I was never curious enough to wander around when I worked there. How I now wish I had.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
—-
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble
—-
‘You never realise how anti-social you are until there’s a pandemic and your life doesn’t really change that much’

Offline RB

• Love old phones
Re: Kellogg Candlestick with Hook Switch Arm on Right
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 08:07:22 AM »
Wow!!!
That is almost as big as Doug's collection. lol ;)