"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to make Western Electric candlestick switch hook pins

Started by gands-antiques, August 27, 2023, 12:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

Hello,

(6) pins for attaching Western Electric candlestick switch hooks to switches.

Thanks,
Gary

RDPipes

These look pretty easy to make out of the right size piece of rod stock.
Of course if I was to make six of these I would have to charge about the same as Mark does on his site.

gands-antiques

Thanks for your reply. I found some drills with the correct diameter and I will try to cut them off with my Dremel.

TelePlay

What are the dimensions, diameter and length, of those pins, for reference.

gands-antiques

Hi John,

Good to her from you. The drill bits I am cutting off are masonry bits with 0.150 diameter shanks and I am cutting them to 0.815 long. I'm using a Dremel motor with two stacked standard cutoff wheels and small thick paper washers on both sides of the cutoff wheels to help prevent wheel breakage.

I just cut the shank to length using extremely light pressure with the cutoff wheels and it cutoff successfully. I smoothed the cut end of the pin with a fine file and also generated small chamfers on both ends with the pin installed in my drill motor.

* The original pin I used for reference is (0.152 dia. x 0.815 long).   

Gary

gands-antiques

I ended up making only 5 pins. All of the cut pins are close in length....0.810, 0.813, 0.814, 0.815 and 0.817.

All of the pins were cut with one set of Dremel cutoff wheels. After cutting the pins I trimmed them to length on my bench grinder. I generated the final end surfaces finishes and added the chamfers with the pins installed in my drill motor rotating on the surface of a file. 

The pins weren't very hard to make but a little time consuming.

Gary

RDPipes

Looking good sir, and you saved yourself about $50 too. ;)

gands-antiques